SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

PERSEIDS 2014 Started already

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just had 15 mins in the back yard before bed.

Sky not very dark but saw 3 nice bright and swift Perseids all heading up towards Lyra and Cygnus and one odd ball that had me confuzzled for a moment. It was a shortish track on a correct radial for a Perseid passing through Cassiopeia. Heading towards the radiant!

Me thinks it was a sporadic interloper trying to fool me :)

Well, that's my Perseids for this year!

From my viewing between 12-2200 and 13-0200 the bias seemed overwhelmingly towards the right hemisphere from Perseus,

with very few going into the Left one towards Auriga but this will tend to even up more later in the morning so my plot would have

looked slightly different if I had stayed up later than 0200.

Mick

That's interesting Mick, I didn't fair too badly imaging the left side to avoid the moon glow. I would have tried the more Eastern fov if not for the moon. Just a bit of patchy cloud here now. Cam is running so I hope it clears after midnight when I get a good view of the radiant.

It was a shortish track on a correct radial for a Perseid passing through Cassiopeia. Heading towards the radiant!

I had one just like that last night. I could have sworn that I somehow recorded it backwards. lol

I've just had 15 mins in the back yard before bed.

Sky not very dark but saw 3 nice bright and swift Perseids all heading up towards Lyra and Cygnus and one odd ball that had me confuzzled for a moment. It was a shortish track on a correct radial for a Perseid passing through Cassiopeia. Heading towards the radiant!

Well, that's my Perseids for this year!

two of mine did the same thing.  Shortish and on a line for the radiant but going the opposite way!!!

I Wonder if this is some sort of Perspective view due to their angle of flight to us that makes them look as if they are going the wrong way ?

The fact that thery were pretty short flights makes me suspicious.

Wierd    Mick

Last night I went to a Linkin Park concert at a amphiteather. We were on the lawn and while the band playing I was looking towards the ecliptic. The light pollution was not that bad. Suddlenly, I saw a fireball for a couple of seconds until it disappeared. I never thought I would be able to see a fireball in a rock concert :) 

Last night I went to a Linkin Park concert at a amphiteather. We were on the lawn and while the band playing I was looking towards the ecliptic. The light pollution was not that bad. Suddlenly, I saw a fireball for a couple of seconds until it disappeared. I never thought I would be able to see a fireball in a rock concert :)

Might have been Disaster Area :rolleyes:

What time was this.

I went outside around 10:30-10:40 last night and saw what must have been the aftermath of a spectacular meteor.  

It was a glowing trail leading from perseus, right through cygnus and lasted about 10:15 minutes - gradually drifting off to the south.

I couldn't observe due to the street lamps where I needed to look so set a small Canon P&S camera up on a window and hid it behind the recess to shield from the street lamps and just missed the Moon ran CHDK and had 8 second images taken every 30 or so seconds. Out of well over 400 shots over 2 nights I get this which might be a possible.... but then could it also be an iridian flare. Taken at 03:18. The camera ran until the battery went flat.

gallery_28282_2962_1448588.jpg

I was waiting for the ISS Last night before 21:33 and saw a bright one that treaked down to Northern Bootes

from the right direction.

Clouds appear to be building here tonight so this may be the end of Perseid watch for me too.

Mick.

Staying down in deepest darkest SW France and got back late last night to a beautiful cleat sky. Layer out on the grass with the kids and saw about 15 in 30 mins. A couple of absolute corkers. I remember as a kid doing the same with my Dad in Devon. My daughters said this morning that it was the best thing they've done since we've been away!! ☺☺☺

What time was this.

I went outside around 10:30-10:40 last night and saw what must have been the aftermath of a spectacular meteor.  

It was a glowing trail leading from perseus, right through cygnus and lasted about 10:15 minutes - gradually drifting off to the south.

I don't remember the time but it was maybe around 10pm. But I am in the US, so there is a 6 hs. difference :)

Staying down in deepest darkest SW France and got back late last night to a beautiful cleat sky. Layer out on the grass with the kids and saw about 15 in 30 mins. A couple of absolute corkers. I remember as a kid doing the same with my Dad in Devon. My daughters said this morning that it was the best thing they've done since we've been away!! ☺☺☺

Now get them a onezie, thermal long-johns, woollen balaclavas and a sleeping bag each, and they should be ready for the Geminids.

Archived