Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

John Nichol 22" F3.38 mirror has arrived!!!

I'm proud to say that I took delivery of a 22" F3.38 (1881 focal length) 1/8 wave mirror today from John Nichol.

I have to say John has been fantastic right from the start of my order back in May.

Excellent service and a pleasure to deal with!

Sadly I'm waiting on my cell to be delivered from the USA before I can start the DIY build but hopefully it shouldn't be too long.

I'd love to get first light by or at herstmonceux or dobfest ii but if it takes longer than it's not the end of the world.

I'll try and post some build pics on the DIY pages once we get going.

Needless to say I'm quite excited though and cannot wait to put this through it's paces!!

post-13692-0-99485200-1407353422_thumb.j

I didn't have a Heinz bean tin to show size so I hope butter beans will do the same job!!?

Those marks are on our ceiling, thankfully not the mirror!!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WoW!!!

That is one mirror Simon, a big finacial commitment no doubt but spread over a lifetime of getting amazing views well Worth it! :)

What style scope are you going to build? A nice classic sytlee Webster maybe??

Looking forward to the build and lets hope you can do it by Dobfest II.

Thanks everyone.

Yes you are right Mike it was a fair bit of dough but I won't go any bigger (focal length too much above 22") so this will be my main tool for a very long time hopefully!

Gonna go for a classic obsession design I think, it's pretty fast so I don't want any flex.

You are bang on Steve, John was excellent!

Sorry about the beans Calv, we don't go shopping till tom so it's all I've got, they must have been in the cupboard for years!!!

Don't worry me about the fire risk Jules, I was already panicking about dropping something on it or dropping the box, now I have to add fire to the worry list?!

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, im green with envy. Its amazing how big amateur mirrors are getting these days, I remember 12jnch being the size that only a club could afford but 22 is becoming the new must have size !

My 16 is beginng to look averge these days.

Good luck with the build.

By the way, is dob fest open to anyone ..... I promise I wont bring a frac !

Cheers

Wow, im green with envy. Its amazing how big amateur mirrors are getting these days, I remember 12jnch being the size that only a club could afford but 22 is becoming the new must have size !

My 16 is beginng to look averge these days.

Good luck with the build.

By the way, is dob fest open to anyone ..... I promise I wont bring a frac !

Cheers

yes it is! pm danny -k 

F/3.38!!! just a bit quick then. I'm guessing you'll be eating beans on toast for a good while simon :D.

Is 16-18 " not big any more then?

I think you are right Scott, but only butter beans it looks like!!!!

22" is the new 16" apparently??

I'm still waiting on the blooming cell delivery from the states and then I can hopefully start the build. Cannot wait to get started!!

Paid customs on Wednesday and it was meant to be delivered next day but still not arrived...............  :mad:

Archived