Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader continuum filter

spaceboy

Hi All

It's been a while since I owned one of these and from memory I didn't like it one bit when using it with Baader solar film. Has anyone had experience in using these with both solar film and wedge ? Also is everything green using a continuum filter in a wedge?? I have always found that a wrattan filter #58 to offer up superb views visually in both film and wedge at a fraction of the cost of a continuum filter and gives a somewhat more natural straw colour to the views rather than hulk green.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks John. Do you suffer any reflections from the filter. What I remember most from it's use was that the coatings used to be quite reflective on the ep side and so often glimpsed ghosting of my eyeball in the eyepiece. (if that makes any sense??)

I used to have internal reflection problems with a MAK 150. The *filter* surface...  plus Baader film...

plus the two scope mirrors seemed to give a significant on-axis halo "blob" around the solar disk. :o

Never got around to fixing this (or to rechecking it frankly!) I imagine it should be solvable though? 

Since I was using the continuum filter on a Watec (web-type) camera nose-piece, I *was* going to

try adding an extra 1.25" -> 1.25" filter thread extender, between the CCD and the filter...

http://www.365astronomy.com/extension-tube-with-125-filter-thread-25mm-long-p-3654.html

A useful thing I *now* have around anyway - And Hey, it might even have worked? :p

As food for thought: A LOT of filters have reflective surfaces, but then light levels are lower... ;)

Hi Nick,

I did use one with a solar filter in an ST80 a few years back. I was never particularly impressed with the improvements it gave.

However..... I now use one as standard with my wedge and TV85. It seems to work very well in the Wedge, although I've never compared it with a Wratten #58.

Everything is very green with the Continuum, but I do find that granulation and faculae are enhanced with it.

Stu

I have only used the Solar Continuum with a Herschel wedge. This may differ per person but originally I found the green a bit weird, and now I don't really notice it much, I just seen incredible detail in sunspots. Imaging-wise, I tried a red filter versus the SC and the SC for me won. I can't remember if I tried the red filter for visual. Isn't the eye more sensitive to greens than reds?

I agree, I've totally got used to the green now, and hardly notice it. I prefer it to the view through the polarizing filter.

The continuum filter has a much narrower bandpass compared with the Wratten 58 but better transmission within this, so I would expect it to sharpen things up and bring out the granulation and faculae more, although all these things are subtle and seeing dependent.

Wratten curve:

vyhy8y4a.jpg

Continuum curve:

heja2era.jpg

Stu

Does anyone else see the Continuum view go to yellow after viewing for a bit?Happens to me within a minute now....Badder says that filter placement is critical for no reflections and I believe they are correct.Placing a filter on the EP can cause reflections with my wedge.The Continuum is excellent IMHO,even with its IR leak,which can affect CCD's

Thanks guys.

I think I am going to stick with the #58 but I would like to compare it to your TV85, SC, wedge at PSP2014 Stu.

Shane I would give the #58 a try if your having good results with the #11. The #58 used to be a tad too green for my liking with solar film so I often stacked  #11 & #12 filters which gave almost as good results but with a more easy on my eye light yellow.

I see there is also a #58a filter which is a darker green than the #58 so I wonder if this would give similar wavelengths to the SC ??

Thanks guys.

I think I am going to stick with the #58 but I would like to compare it to your TV85, SC, wedge at PSP2014 Stu.

Of course Nick, you'd be welcome to. Which scope do you use?

Is the eyepiece not the only option with a wedge?

I find the bsc works well when the sky is clear but when there is some thin cloud i prefer a wratten #11

Hi Shane,you are absolutely correct,there is another filter mounting position.My Badder uses a 2" SCT male connecting ring with internal 2" M48 filter threads and the ND and Solar Continuum are stacked with the ND threaded into the ring itself.

The proper place for any filter is either attached to the "SC" or the ND in a stack.

My Beloptic UV/IR filter should attach to the SC,and it will.The outside diameter of the Beloptik and Astronomik 2" filters will not go into the wedge itself,too big of diameter.The Baader 2" filters are a touch smaller in diameter.....If anyone needs the actual measurements let me know.

Baader may want their filters used exclusively,not sure.

Hi Shane,you are absolutely correct,there is another filter mounting position.My Badder uses a 2" SCT male connecting ring with internal 2" M48 filter threads and the ND and Solar Continuum are stacked with the ND threaded into the ring itself.

The proper place for any filter is either attached to the "SC" or the ND in a stack.

My Beloptic UV/IR filter should attach to the SC,and it will.The outside diameter of the Beloptik and Astronomik 2" filters will not go into the wedge itself,too big of diameter.The Baader 2" filters are a touch smaller in diameter.....If anyone needs the actual measurements let me know.

Baader may want their filters used exclusively,not sure.

That's very interesting Gerry. In my Lunt 1.25", I always put the Continuum in the barrel of the eyepiece, as far as I know there is no other option?

That's very interesting Gerry. In my Lunt 1.25", I always put the Continuum in the barrel of the eyepiece, as far as I know there is no other option?

Not sure about the Lunt Stu,Baader said unwanted reflections could be caused by placing the filter after the ND filter-but I'm no expert,just a novice.My Beloptik is an extremely good filter-KG-3 glass + UV coatings,and it is not optimum for me used in the EP.This KG-3 glass absorbs IR though and may heat up a bit....I'm very cautious about solarhttp://www.baader-planetarium.uk.com/en/pdf/HERSCHEL_PRISM_MANUAL.pdf  section 3.1 and others. Before I do anything I talk to knowledgeable sources,as I know very little!

Of course Nick, you'd be welcome to. Which scope do you use?

Thanks Stu. I use an Antares sentinel 80mm f/6 with lunt wedge, 12.5mm fujiyama ortho, #58 & polarising filter which so far has took my breath away the detail it shows. Vast improvement over my Evo 90 and solar film setup.

Thanks Stu. I use an Antares sentinel 80mm f/6 with lunt wedge, 12.5mm fujiyama ortho, #58 & polarising filter which so far has took my breath away the detail it shows. Vast improvement over my Evo 90 and solar film setup.

Looks very nice :-). Probably not so different from the TV85. Slightly better colour correction, bit more aperture but I'm sure you are still getting fabulous views. Actually the continuum may work well for you as it has such a narrow band it will get around any remaining CA and sharpen things up a tad. Well worth a go anyway.

Stu

I use the Baader continuum filter with either the Pronto or ST80 and a full aperture Baader ND5 film filter. I haven't noticed any problems with internal reflections or visual oddities and find it a great improvement over no filter. I don't mind the green at all. It also works well on the moon when it's getting a bit bright.

I tried a #11 and didn't like it at all but it was £3 one from astroboot so could well be a lemon.

I think I will wait and see the results of the side by side comparison is with Stu's setup before I go parting with me hard earned just yet. Even used £30-£40 is a lot of money if I can't get on with a green sun and if it shows little or no improvement over my current #58 filter the money would be better invested else where. If one comes up cheap enough then I might consider it but it seems from the comments the improvements offered by the SC are subtle and aren't as obvious as say filters like OIII or HA where details can rarely been see with out one. 

While I agree any improvement even subtle ones are of benefit I have lost money on filters in the past that don't perform as well as their advertised description, the baader semi-apo filter being one of them and the SC being the other when I used it with solar film.

• 3 months later...

First I want to point out that I'm not a skeptic when it comes to filters as I have experienced the on / off ability of OIII filters on the veil and rosette nebula. My only doubts on this occasion was the performance vs price of a £59 Baader SC filter http://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/baader-solar-continuum-filter.html over a £8.99 #58 wratten filter http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/380492286624?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108

Having picked up a used SC filter (still not cheap mind) I think it is safe to say there is a great deal more contrast revealed in the solar disk. It took me several goes for my eye to adjust to the filter and I found I still had to use my polarizer filter to tone down the brightness and allow more detail to be revealed because of it. I have to admit the views are simply superb in the moments of good seeing and getting the intensity of the view just right. The view was still pleasant showing in my eyes a deeper yellow colour compared to the #58 filter which again in my eyes offered a more straw coloured disk. I will point out that others who have looked through the scope as why everything is green. I only glimpse green when I hover over the eyepiece at a small distance ????

Out of the two the SC filter offers up the best views in regards of detail but I did from time to time feel it some what over powering how bright the sun was even after having polarized the image to get the most contrast. The #58 wratten filter and polarizer filter seem to control the intensity of the light far better. The detail in the #58 filter is nothing to be sniffed at when taking in to account they can be picked up new for as little as £12 delivered. I could make out most surface detail with the #58 filter as I could the SC filter the only difference being the SC seemed to define these details better due to the added contrast which was most apparent in surface granulation. While granulation can hardly be considered the most eye catching and exciting detail on the sun's surface it is still some thing I'd rather have in the view than not and the SC filter seems to provide this detail more of the time.

I found previously using Baader solar film and a SC filter difficult to get on with and so the #58 filter ( #11 + #12 combo before that) offered me more detail in white light than I would have had with out so it did me well up until the point I was able to upgrade to a solar wedge. Why the SC worked better for me in the wedge than it did the 60mm Baader film set up I had I have no idea ?

I guess at the end of the day it's like anything it's down to what your willing to spend. I think I have reached the end goal as far as white light observing goes so here's now looking to spend stupid money on a Ha scope :grin:  

Nice write up Nick. I certainly think the SC works very well in conjunction with the wedge, seems to give more than when using film. Mind you, I only used film on an old ST80, and I'm still not convinced that I removed the backing film from it which might explain my disappointment. It's long gone now anyhow.

On the subject of colour.......it's green, that's all I can say, and my iPhone agrees ;-)

Cheers,

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post-6762-0-84578700-1415983905_thumb.jp

Blimey that is green :eek: . TBH Stu I am marginally colour blind in red and green so I assume this is having some effect. Apparently it's not that uncommon in men and becomes more so with age. I sure ain't seeing that day glow green and I have to say I'm very much relieved I'm not.

If anyone was to ask I wouldn't recommend a SC filter with solar film. I know of others that have had similar experiences so I assume it needs the more intense light you get with the wedge to become more effective ??? If you have a wedge then yes it sure will bring out it's full potential but even then I wouldn't discard the use of a #58 filter if funds were low and you just wanted to add that little bit more detail to the views.

Archived