Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Flocking a SkyWatcher Flextube 300P

After reading the Flocking Evidence thread I have decided to flock my Flextube 300P. Last night I looked inside to see how dark it was in the tube and was surprised to parts of the frame that supports the OTA are painted white!

I'm going to make one of these internal light shrouds next week, which should hide some of it, but I can't help thinking that painting these parts black will have far more of an effect than flocking will in terms of cutting down on reflective stray light.

Has anyone else noticed and done something about this?

Is there a particular type of paint I should use on the inside of an OTA or would good old blackboard paint do the trick?

Also, has anyone flocked a big Flextube? If so, how much of it did you cover?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my 350p took 3 rolls to do the upper and lower ota. I took the mirror out and put the ota on the kitchen table so it was at a nice height. it was bit of hard work but I think it has helped

Was that the 100x45cm rolls, Daniel?

Not sure I'm brave enough to remove the mirror :undecided:

Was that the 100x45cm rolls, Daniel?

Not sure I'm brave enough to remove the mirror :undecided:

the ones from FLO I used.  before you go ahead use one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-SCOTCHBRITE-LINT-ROLLERS-REMOVAL/dp/B00388DBV6 make sure you try and get all the excess black felt off or it will coat your mirror in black fluff. just take your time once you've taken it out once it becomes easier. also whe you do the upper ota take the top white ring of it will give you neater finish as you can just cut around the ota instead of the triangle screw holes like this http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/199896-a-day-of-modding-a-350p/

II flocked my 10" Quattro and painted the focus tube and spider vanes and the back and sides of the secondary mirror with greyboard paint.

I found that it made a marked difference in contrast.

Thanks for the advice guys.

The top OTA is now done. I used the flock available at Wilko's for £5 per roll and painted all of the internal metal bits using matt black paint. I used two rolls - one for the top part of the OTA and the other for the inside of my home made dew shield.

Here are some photos of the process...

post-33858-0-59603900-1407097385.jpg

post-33858-0-54421100-1407097384.jpg

post-33858-0-39481900-1407097383.jpg

post-33858-0-32690400-1407097361.jpg

post-33858-0-07230500-1407097360.jpg

post-33858-0-95682600-1407097358.jpg

post-33858-0-94095500-1407097357.jpg

post-33858-0-68642100-1407097356.jpg

post-33858-0-86045200-1407097354.jpg

post-33858-0-93794700-1407097355.jpg

post-33858-0-81583100-1407097353.jpg

post-33858-0-44328500-1407097349.jpg

I'm pleased with the results. It is pretty dark in there, even in daylight, but I can't figure out where the bright circle of light around the primary mirror is coming from in the final photograph, which was taken through the focus tube with the top dust cover and a light shroud on the scope.

And one final mod of the day…

post-33858-0-63874900-1407097350.jpg

I will do the lower OTA next weekend.

the bright circle is the gap around the primary which helps circulation of airflow I put the dust cap from the top OTA over the back when observing

Never thought of that :smile:

you forgot to paint the back of your secondary ;)

I didn't forget, I just wimped out :lol:

I've ordered some Bob's Knobs for it so plan to paint it when they arrive.

Any advice on how to avoid getting paint on the front when painting the sides?

Nice job. I have only done a bit of the top part of the ota. I used the same stuff as you which is also the same stuff as flo sell. Does make a difference. Someone told me, when you remove the ep and look through the focuser, all bits of the internal scope you can see are the bits that can reflect light. So flocking the top bit of the ota opposite the focuser is good, but flocking the rest has no effect as it is not sending light back to the ep

What are your plans with the base in terms of mods, other than pint holder :)

Nice job. I have only done a bit of the top part of the ota. I used the same stuff as you which is also the same stuff as flo sell. Does make a difference. Someone told me, when you remove the ep and look through the focuser, all bits of the internal scope you can see are the bits that can reflect light. So flocking the top bit of the ota opposite the focuser is good, but flocking the rest has no effect as it is not sending light back to the ep

What are your plans with the base in terms of mods, other than pint holder :)

I have read varying advice about whole v partial flocking and reckoned that for the sake of £20 and three or four hours of my time in the sun in the garden it was worth taking a punt on the full monty.

The base had the first mod - a pair of handles to allow me to lift the OTA on and off the base and carry it around the garden without breaking my back. I am quite please with the result...

post-33858-0-87664100-1407276437.jpg

My next mod is to build a light shroud to sit inside the truss tubes. Apart from that I have no plans for the lower section other than perhaps a nice shelf on the front to hold a whisky decanter and a crystal glass :wink:

I flocked the upper tube of my 300p  and blackedned the mirror top edge. Basically I covered all parts which are visible from the focuser tube. It should catch all the worst light. 

I made them I just bought a sheet of 1.5mm PTFE from ebay and drew around the red ones and cut them out :) it made a big difference to my viewing no long having the object jump out of the FOV and then trying to find it again. that was the first one I did not very neat but i did redo it  after figuring out the best way to cut it :)

post-6284-0-59314400-1407531344_thumb.jp

All this modding Derek you will fit right into the dob mob!

With a good chair which i think you have already your back will thank you too i would think vs the sct

Today's mods are:

1. Bottom OTA now flocked (now fully done)
  2. Internal light shroud which slides into the bottom OTA when the scope is retracted
  3. SkyWatcher Low-Profile Crayford Focuser
  4. Baader Click-Lock Extension Tube

post-33858-0-90411400-1407589651.jpg

:smile:

Very nuve I have the baader click lock on mine but you may find you need an extension tube to get focus

The focuser has an internal extension tube that is just too short on its own. The Baader ClickLock adds another 47mm so I'm hoping that is enough. If not, I'll buy a proper extension.

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't happy with the light shroud I made from a camping mat as it was too flexible and wouldn't hold a cylindrical shape so I have built a new one from a 1372x660x1.5mm ABS Pinseal Plastic Sheet.

This is the same material used by AstroZap and Celestron for their dew shields but I built this light shroud and a dew shield (from a second sheet) for around £20 each. The natural spring in the material means that these hold their shape very well and don't obstruct the primary mirror. They also look quite good :cool:

Archived