SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Aligning RGB Histograms in Photoshop (CS6)

Probably a simple answer.

When uploading to Astrobin (what a great place) the histogram pic sometimes shows my RGB are not lined up perfectly and I presume they should be? It clearly shows the 3 peaks coloured red, green and blue.

When I am Photoshop and I look at levels, the histogram is black regardless of my selecting RGB or a single colour.

Now when I pick say Red, and look to align it to green and blue, well the green and blue histograms are nowhere to be seen - so how exactly do I line them up in Photoshop?!

No doubt another contender for "stupid question of the week".

Two answers. You can open Histogram in Ps (Window) and go to expanded view, all channel view. This shows all three.

Or, in Levels, you can use the drop down menu to remove the default setting, which is RGB, and see R or G or B by selecting the one you want.

As a rule of thumb the top left of each histo peak should be aligned, something you can only do by moving the black point to the right. But, as Dennis said, 'It isn't the histogram you hang on the wall.' I would use the histogram as an advisor but not a master.

Olly

levels%20aligning-M.jpg

Archived