Narrowband

Worth buying a 300mm lens before buying a battery?

As some people on these forums will know by now, I'm very gradually getting into astronomy (including imaging), one piece of equipment at a time, partly so I can pretend that it isn't as expensive as it is, but mainly because I think it's a good way to learn in a slow and steady way.

So far I've got my HEQ5 Pro mount, dovetail, and Canon 1100D camera (with the default 55mm lens), and I've taken a widefield shot of The Plough (no power to the mount yet), with just ten 6-second lights and darks.

The next step is to buy a battery of some kind (which I'm still deliberating on) so the mount can track, but I was also considering buying the 75-300mm lens for the 1100D (the basic one, the other one is way too expensive).

So my question is, would it be worth my while buying the 75mm-300mm lens (which is as cheap as £70 new) before buying the battery (which will be a lot more expensive, especially if I go Lythium Polymer)? I'm guessing that the subs would have to be even shorter still when fully zoomed with the 300mm than with the 55mm, so maybe it wouldn't be worth getting the 300mm until after I had bought a battery, at which point I could power the mount and track with it?

The other reason why I'm taking my time buying a battery is because I know that once I have one, I'll have to attempt polar alignment, and I can't say I'm looking forward to that day :tongue:

A lens will almost never die, a battery will!

Could you not run a Mains/DC adapter and extension lead?

I would guess that you are not planning to leave your kit unattended and therefore it is accessible?

I did initially consider running from the mains, but many people recommended against going down that route for safety reasons. And although I'll me moving soon, hopefully to a ground or 1st floor flat, I'm currently on the second floor, which makes mains extensions very awkward. So I kind of like the idea of a battery instead.

But yeah, the reason I asked was basically to get an idea of what I photograph with an unpowered mount and a 300mm lens instead of a 55mm lens. My guess would be probably just slightly closer views of constellations. I have seen some shots of galaxies, nebulae etc which were taken with 300mm lenses, but they were no doubt taken with tracking involved, and possibly guiding too.

There is a wall socket on the first floor landing, so it is doable, but I'm still reluctant to go for mains. Normally I'd be happy to (less hassle than charging batteries, power as much as I want etc), but it sounds like there are a lot of safety measures which need to be taken, what with combining mains electricity with outside and dew etc

If you bought an ST80 second hand you get a scope to enjoy a foray into visual observing, you get a scope to start imaging with and you get a scope that one day could be a guide scope.

Would you use a 300mm camera lens for general photography?

Yes that is a possibility. Although I was hoping to convert the 9x50 finderscope on the 150PDS (when I buy it) to a finderguider, in order to reduce weight etc. but then if there was much DIY involved then I would probably go down the ST80 route for a guidescope anyway.

And no, I wouldn't use the 300mm lens in general photography. So maybe instead of buying the 300mm lens for £70, I could buy the ST80 from Amazon (Amazon rather than FLO because I have £20 credit) for £80.

It would mean however that I would have to buy camera adaptors for the ST80, and then again for the 150PDS later.

Regarding the Startravel 80, here's the FLO link:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/startravel/skywatcher-startravel-80-ota.html

And here is the Amazon link (similar price):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Skywatcher-Startravel-80T-OTA-Refractor-Telescope/dp/B00CYHT4JK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406917535&sr=8-1&keywords=startravel+80

I just wonder if Amazon have listed that wrongly, because in addition to what the FLO one comes with, the Amazon one also seems to include 2 eye pieces (admittedly probably not the greatest eye pieces in the world, but still), 2 barlows, and apparently even an EQ mount. And yes, this link seems to confirm it:

http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/documents/100.pdf

So that would suggest that the ST80T is a better deal than the ST80?

Previous bundles I have found have been

One will have tube rings and a dove bar mount and a 90 degree diaganol. Usually has a RDF.

One will have a camera mount bar fixed on and a 45 degree diaganol giving right side up images. Usually has a finder scope.

ST80T seems to be with the 45 diagonal more aimed at day time viewing as not looking at zenith.

FLO also do this for £3 more with the barlow and a table top mount and RDF here

Though the better deal if you had nothing is the one of the EQ1 mount for £23 extra at FLO. But you have a mount.

The boxed weight is not heavy enough to also include a tripod I don't think. The OTA is 1.3 kg with nothing attached. So that leaves 2 kilos for the tripod, box and eyepeices and stuff, so maybe it is the table top tripod.

That's a shame, because the Amazon one seems to come with quite a lot more. It looks like this one on FLO is essentially the same one (don't know why Amazon don't show it with the mount like FLO do):

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/startravel/skywatcher-startravel-80-eq1.html

But if that's the wrong one to go for, then maybe I need to look elsewhere. It's so hard to tell which one is the best one to buy when there are so many versions.

The Amazon one is not the same the boxed weight if accurate is too light to have a stand up tripod so at a push it might be the table top tripod, so be certain send a question to the seller. The ST can come in several bundles with 3 styles of tripod it appears.

Factor in shipping to costs.

I have a 45 degree diaganol and it is pretty uncomforable to use for night use.

Is your flat big enough for two tripods :)

A vintage prime lens for your camera is the cheapest and least space demand option. :) and leaves money for that battery potentially.

It is so early days in your use of kit you have a great mount and a great camera :)

Your Amazon link does not exactly inspire confidence as being a true supplier of Astronomy gear.

What the heck are "2 luxury Barlow lenses"? are they leather coated or something???

Even if you need to pay slightly more for the same kit FLO prove their customer care service on a daily basis around here. ie you can talk directly with the guys who obviously know their stuff and want to satisfy people.

Well worth the price of a Kebab IMHO.

NB, in your FLO link, they state "supplied without equatorial mount and tripod", which you don't need if you are going to hook it all together on your HEQ5.

My first choice is normally FLO, I was only looking at Amazon because I have this credit to get rid of. But that can always be spent on something else instead.

The idea of having the other basic mount would have been for a simple grab and go setup (which certainly doesn't describe the HEQ5), but it's not essential.

If you're anywhere near North-West London you'd be welcome to an old 28-200mm EF mount zoom lens I have lying around. It gets no use and hasn't for years (I used to use it on an old 35mm film SLR), and would be happy for it to go to a new home if you can come and collect it.

It's ok, I may just go ahead and buy an ST80 from FLO or somewhere instead. It'll be good practice attempting to do visual, basic imaging, and most importantly polar aligning with that, before I go for the 150PDS. Of course it does mean I'll have to buy a battery or other power source too, but that was inevitable.

Archived