SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Bloated stars

Landy Dave

I have been slowly getting into imaging and I have notice my stars are pretty bloated. Here is a 100% crop from the centre of 240 second exposure at ISO 400:

c34crop.jpg

I am using a Canon Eos 70D with an Astronomik CLS clip filter through a Skywatcher 102T.

Is this because I am using a cheap scope?

My plan is to buy a ED80 when a second hand one comes up or I save enough for a new one :)

The ED80 will be a much better scope for imaging,

You may also need a 0.85 reducer/flattener to bring the f/ratio down from f7.5 to f6.37 which will make it much easier to image with shorter sub-frames.

Star bloating tends to occur much more with DSLRs than with CCDs.

Certainly looks like chromatic aberration.

Another problem or feature that is often missed is that thje scope will have a "large" depth of focus. Makes it easy to get or find a reasonable focus when viewing but means there is not really a sharp well defined focal plane, so things are a bit bloated.

Still enjoy the imaging, the experience will be worth it when better equipment is acquired.

Archived