SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M17 Omega or Swan Nebula narrowband

MartinB

What a lovely target this is but ooh it's low!  First image from me for ages and this has been a project started at the end of May.  Grabbing the data was very difficult largely because of the low altitude and limited time that it is visible.

5500 light years away and 100 light years across and made up of dust and molecular gas sculpted by stellar winds it is a large star making nebula.

Telescope: SW MN190

Camera: QSI 532 wsg

Filters: Baader Ha/OIII/SII narrow band

Subs: all 30mins  Ha x10 OIII and SII x6 each

Captured, calibrated and combined in Maxim.  Deconvolved with CCD stack and processed in PS.  Ha luminence and channels matched to Hubble palate for colour with some gold and turquoise tweaking which I think shows the dust nicely.  The backgrounds a bit busy but that's how it came out!

post-148-0-34989900-1406670511_thumb.jpg

You won't have heard my jaw hit the laptop, but it did ! Lovely, well controlled image.

You've done a spectacular job controlling and processing the 3200 chip. I'd be too scared to even attempt 30 minutes with it !

Dave.

Thanks a lot for the comments everyone.  

Dave, The KAF 3200 chip works really well with long narrow band exposures.  The blooming is easily sorted and less stretching means less microlensing artefacts which I find the most irritating thing about this chip.

Thanks a lot for the comments everyone.  

Dave, The KAF 3200 chip works really well with long narrow band exposures.  The blooming is easily sorted and less stretching means less microlensing artefacts which I find the most irritating thing about this chip.

I had the chance of one of these chips and chickened out ! I talk a good bloom process but it did put me off.

I'll re consider if I see another. The QE is wild :)

Cheers,

Dave.

I had the chance of one of these chips and chickened out ! I talk a good bloom process but it did put me off.

I'll re consider if I see another. The QE is wild :)

Cheers,

Dave.

Especially the QE in Ha!

Thanks again everyone for the comments

Archived