SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Will x218 be too much and should I stick to x200

I'm itching to pull the trigger on a high power ep and the Meade 5.5mm 82° is top of my list but I'm concerned that x218 is taking the mickey. I've pushed it to x266 at times with the Xcel 9mm barlowed but it's not great.  Would a dedicated high power ep be a better job and, if it would, should just I stick with x200?  I like the idea of the Meade because I like my MVs and the extra FOV will mean less nudging.

Should be usable however all high powers tend to rely on atmospheric conditions as much as anything.

If the atmosphere is not stable then 180x will be bad.

I would likely go with it with the understanding that not all nights will suit it.

218x on a 200P is not greatly over the top, 300x might be but have read of that being used under the right conditions.

And lets face it "You want to try it, don't you?" :grin: :grin: :grin:

Yup, I know that the seeing will need to be good for that sort of mag Ronin, and it would probably get less use than the other eps but you're right; I really do want to try it, lol, especially if does a better job than the 9mm barlowed.

I think 218x would be fine in a 200p. I often use a 6mm delos for lunar and planetary and feel the scope could do more when the seeing is good so in sure 5.5mm would be ok. With an 82 degree field it would also make a nice eyepiece for globular clusters.

By the way, what eyepeices and barlow are you currently using ?

That's what I was hoping for and the 82° would be cool for some DSOs too .  As for the Barlow and eps, I'm using the Maxvision 68° 24mm and 16mm, a X-Cel LX 9mm and a TAL Barlow x2. I've had my eye on that 5.5mm for a good while now but I want to be sure as I can be befor the missus springs it for me.

I would think you should manage 2-250x without a problem if the seeing is good

:)

Cheers, Jim. The clear nights I've over the Summer had have less than great seeing.  The 16mm and 9mm were great on Saturn there one night but x266 with the Barlow on the 9mm was just serving up mush.  Come on Autumn and Winter :tongue:

I'm itching to pull the trigger on a high power ep and the Meade 5.5mm 82° is top of my list but I'm concerned that x218 is taking the mickey. I've pushed it to x266 at times with the Xcel 9mm barlowed but it's not great.  Would a dedicated high power ep be a better job and, if it would, should just I stick with x200?  I like the idea of the Meade because I like my MVs and the extra FOV will mean less nudging.

I really wouldn't worry about the difference between 218x and 200x.  

Focal lengths of optics is not usually absolutely precise anyway, so when we do the calculations, the mag will be close, but probably not exact.

Also I find it depends on the type of object being observed as to how high the power can be pushed. For me, double stars will often take a higher power than planets before image breakdown.

My motto ( for what it's worth ) -  smaller and sharper trumps larger and fuzzier.

Regards, Ed

If the seeing is good, it will most likely perform better then the barlowed eyepiece.

I have a Astrozoom.de with 8mm HR Planetary, a friend of mine has the Astrozoom with

Lacerta UWA 82° 7mm, turning it into a 7-3.5mm eyepiece by changing the distance of the lens element. At 245€ it is more expensive then with a HR Planetary, but those only show 58 degree apparent field of view.

The great thing about these zooms is that they will not change the apparent field of view, unlike most other zoom eyepieces, and as it utilizes the eyepiece's lens element, the image won't loose contrast like adding a barlow would.

So these zooms effectively replace three or more eyepieces, and you can always find the optimum zoom for the current seeing, planet altitude and exit pupil.

Archived