johnb

Hi

So I have the following

Skywatcher Explorer 250 OTA

Skywatcher EQ6 Pro SynScan

and use the following for guiding

Qhy5 and PHP

Skywatcher Startravel 80 

My trusty QHY 5 has now died so I need a replacment, looking around the QHY5 ii seems to get a good review and at around £199 is seems like a good buy.

Any thoughts appreciated

Regards

John B

I have just bought the qhy5l-ii mono. Reviews say it was more sensitive than its predecessor. I can't comment on that but I have not been disappointed with it.

Good for guiding and sensitive enough for some dso, planetary, lunar, and solar imaging.

Im using the ASI120MM camera for guiding, and don't think its sensitive enough...........might change for something like you guys are mensioning,

The ASI120mm uses the same sensor as the QHY5L-II, the only advantage the QHY has is it's slim/lightweight body. Otherwise, both cameras are pretty much the same.

I have just bought the qhy5l-ii mono. Reviews say it was more sensitive than its predecessor. I can't comment on that but I have not been disappointed with it.

Good for guiding and sensitive enough for some dso, planetary, lunar, and solar imaging.

Interesting, any images available to see from the Camera.

John B

Interesting, any images available to see from the Camera.

John B

Sorry, no images yet. I've only used it for guiding. Others have posted images. Run a quick search on google for qhy5l-ii images. They look pretty good.

Since good guiding is so important I wouldn't skimp on it. The basic Lodestar Mk 1 could have been the definitive guide camera for years to come but they chose to put idiotic little cables into it (I've just ordered my third replacemant ST4 cable and am seriously irritated) but they've wised up with the Lodestar 2.

We have all this costly kit, not every night is clear (even where I live..) so this is not something with which to mess about.

Olly

Since good guiding is so important I wouldn't skimp on it. The basic Lodestar Mk 1 could have been the definitive guide camera for years to come but they chose to put idiotic little cables into it (I've just ordered my third replacemant ST4 cable and am seriously irritated) but they've wised up with the Lodestar 2.

And just in case you ever want to experiment with video astronomy, the Lodestar 2 looks to be an excellent option when used with the Lodestar Live software, developed by Paul81. I'm about to buy one for that very reason - will give me decent guiding capability for conventional AP, plus the ability to be a very effective camera for near-realtime video imaging.

HTH

Best of luck

Simon

If its affordable the Lodestar will do a good job......

DSC_0169.jpg

I've been looking for an extension for my ST80 but couldn't find one the right size. Can I ask where you go yours from? And also where you got the bit on the end as well (some kind of 1.25" holder).

Bit difficult remembering where the extentions came from, but the bit in the end is a Baader  2" to 1.25" reducer this was supplied with the Coma Corrector kit, the extension pieces that screws into that came from a OAG not to sure of the thread size, there are 2 pieces screwed in 

and the tube focuser and Baader both had the same size thread, its very sturdy no flex, sorry i don't know the thread size......

Archived