Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M103 and Trumpler 1

cotterless45

Very close you M103 ( one of our most distant clusters) you'll find the small fuzz of T1. Just put up the magnification to x150 and it's a lovely line of stars and others in this most compact of open clusters.

That's all I had time for , waited until midnight for some forecast clear skies, then a quick break, hurrah !

I'll have to dig out the Herschel list, some pretty compact star field clusters there,

Nick.

... it's lovely to read it and you often lead me to things I have never even heard of.

I trail Nick around this forum writing down all the things I'd never heard of, but now think it'd be good to see!

I don't think I've seen Tr1, but it may take the 10" or some proper darkness. I've looked at some of the other open clusters round there, and they weren't too bright from in town.

I agree. A often unappreciated aspect of large dobs is the effect of aperture on open clusters, especially small tight faint ones, for the same reasons as globs I suppose. OK dark skies and a frac would also result in much improved cluster images but I don't have access to those conditions too often.

Hey, easy now , I'm just an ordinary bloke !

The seeing was not the best , but I caught the details in a 102 frac. It does have the advantage of ripping through bad seeing conditions I also had a lovely view (boring) of M11. I think you're right about big aperture on clusters.

I had lovely views of clusters through Lee's eq6 mounted 300 f5.3. Not that I'm keen on stepladders.

Waiting for Auriga and comet C/2014 E2 Jacques, I had a horrible feeling that something unwanted had been unleashed and was creeping up..............clouds, big feathered 'Orrible clouds !

Forecast again super for tonight,

Nick.

Archived