Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Meade Series 4000 2" 32mm WA

I may have been a bit impetuous but I've just bought a Meade Series 4000 2" 32mm WA eyepiece on ebay when perhaps I should have sought advice and opinions on here first. I recently bought my first scope, a second hand Skywatcher Explorer 200p 1000mm FL f5 with EQ5 mount and the standard 1.25" 10mm, 25mm and deluxe barlow which came with the telescope. Any views on the suitability of this lens for use with my telescope setup? Have I made a worthwhile purchase or have I bought a pig in a poke? Any advice on what should be my next purchases, including possible upgrades for the kit eyepieces, would be most useful.

Hi,

I think this would be a decent step up from the stock eyepieces which do the job but arnt the best.

At 32mm you would get an exit pupil of just over 6mm so it would be agood widefield choice but I wouldnt go any lower powered or the beam of light from the eyepiece will be bigger than your pupil.

I think the meade 4000 are a 52degree plossl so will have a similar field of view but the stock eyepieces are a less advanced design so im sure the one you have bought will be better.

Cheers

All you can do is use it and see what results you get.You may find you get coma toward the outside third of the fov.Thats the trouble with fast scopes they are hard on eyepieces.Bst star guiders £49 each work well as do maxvision 28 2 inch €95 as in my sig.If you don,t like it you can always resell it and probably won,t lose any money,hope this helps

The Meade 4000 SWA's are decent but not exceptional. If the price was good then you should get performance similar to a 32mm Skywatcher Panaview. It's not a pig in a poke but it's not going to be in the TV Panoptic / ES 68 degree league. If the price was "right" then you will enjoy it  :smiley:

Archived