Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Opticstar ARC 152 QUAD

This design of scope has been around for a few years. Here is a 2006 report (in French) on what I think is more or less the same scope:

http://www.m42optic.fr/pro/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=185

Antares were selling them back in 2005 and I seem to recall one of our members having one, but I can't recall who ?

Thanks John, it's been awhile since I studied french but got the gist of it.

Have also read the reviews on the links provided by Zakalwe.

It's interesting to see the pictures on Cloudy Nights comparing the image through an ED80 and the 152, no contest ED80 wins hands down ( to my eyes at any rate).

I was looking at the APM 6" ED and thats over £3000 , not sure how much more you would see through that compared to my ED120 but at that sort of price I think I'll stick to the ED120.

Avtar

I was looking at the APM 6" ED and thats over £3000 , not sure how much more you would see through that compared to my ED120 but at that sort of price I think I'll stick to the ED120.

Its not how much more that you would see, but rather the increased colour correction that the APM would give, I would expect.

Its not how much more that you would see, but rather the increased colour correction that the APM would give, I would expect.

Surely with increased aperture you would expect to see fainter objects that would not show up in the ED120.

Avtar

Surely with increased aperture you would expect to see fainter objects that would not show up in the ED120.

Avtar

You would notice a difference when viewing deep sky objects. Maybe somewhat less of a difference when viewing the Moon and planets. I find the ED120 does very well on these sometimes getting close to the views that my 12" dob delivers of solar system objects.

I've had a couple of 6" F/8 achromat refractors which I used with an optical corrector called a Chromacor. In short this device allows the achromat to produce similar peformance to a 6" ED doublet but they need a lot of care in installation to achieve this. 

Since I noticed the ED120 is better on doubles than my 12" Dob my aperture fever has subsided somewhat.

As I'm a visual observer only I've come to the conclusion that I've got all the bases pretty much covered and I really don't need any more kit.

Now I just need to keep focused on the observing and sketching.

Avtar

Avtar

In theory, yes. In practice, unless you have them back to back, then it mightened be so obvious?

Once you get to a certain level you are into ever diminishing returns, and I'd wager that the APM's extra cost and value centre around colour correction.

Does anybody know anything about this scope.

I can't find any reviews for it.

Avtar

I know the guys who sell these at Opticstar in Manchester. The design is meant for widefield low power use with a "flat field", they are not intended to compete with ED or APOs. If colour and resolution is your goal then I am afraid  you'd be talking serious money. They will work fine for basic imaging and DSO work and u can always try and get a fringe killer to get rid of the CA. Myself I'd rather buy an SW 120ED or even Opticstar's own Ascension 127mm triplet at twice the cost but 5 times the scope.

A.G

• 11 months later...

Having bought a optic star 127 mill F9.5 refractor and being very pleased with its quality build and performance , iam now fully intending to buy the 6 inch quad for deep space work. Will be mounted on my skytee2 mount.

It should handle the 6" scope. Scope seems to be about 11kg and the Skytee says 15Kg.

Not sure you will see a great deal of difference, you are looking at about a 40% increase in aperture area.

So an increase but not a great increase.

Being a fast achro the 6" may produce more CA at the image then the 127 does, the additional lens are to flatten the field, the base scope is an f/5 achro. The blurb mentions that the 2 additional lens help correct for sphero-chromatism, not the same aberration as CA exactly. Equally CA is most apparent on bright objects - stars, planets - so on DSO's less obvious if noticeable at all.

The Skytee II will take the scope. It managed a Meade AR6 152mm F/7.9 achro which is a slightly heavier and longer scope. Do change the dovetail clamps on the mount though if you are putting heavy stuff like this on it :shocked:

post-118-0-62073600-1436909131_thumb.jpg

Archived