Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Aquila's Bubble: NGC 6781

Roel

A few nights ago astronomical darkness returned to the Netherlands, and so the season 2014/2015 finally got its kick-off. It was a nice clear and warm summer night, and after work I drove directly to my favourite observing site near Lochem, The Netherlands.

One of the highlights that evening was the weird and wonderful planetary nebula NGC 6781 in Aquila. In my 350mm f/4 truss Dob it looks like a uniform, disk shaped glow amidst the stars at first, but at 175x the outer ring quickly becomes very apparent. Strangely the southeast side of the nebula is pretty bright, while the opposite side nearly fades into the background. It kind of resembles the shape of a thin crescent moon with earthshine. Absolutely beautiful!

I made a sketch with graphite pencil on white paper, later inverted with Photoshop. Apart from being inverted, it is the original drawing as made behind the eyepiece.

post-7599-0-03314300-1406535534_thumb.jp

Nice sketch. I've never seen that one so might have a look next time I go to a dark site. No chance from where I live.

It may be worth a try Bish, these smaller PN's respond quite well to a bit of LP or moonlight just make sure you use a UHC.

Roel - As usual your observations are as good as they get, this really is a great sketch! :)

Roel, 

Are you aware of any light pollution reduction program in the Netherlands?

I am currently visiting my in-Laws in Holfddorp and the sky seems much darker than few years ago.

Still quite light polluted though.

The fear of the light pollution in the netherlands descouraged me to live close to my in-laws.

I love the country though.

Regards

Saulo

Archived