Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Looking for M4

Good evening, Everyone,

I have a question about the globular cluster M4 (NGC 6121).  I know it is next to Antares.  I believe I have seen it, but it was surprisingly dim, so much so that I wondered if I hadn’t been hallucinating.  My wife and I found an excellent dark spot near our house, and while we were there last night she took a picture which captured my candidate for M4.  

I have attached two photographs, taken last night: 

The first photograph (20140726-Poss M4) shows the fuzzy suspect within a yellow circle.  I cropped this from the second photograph.

The second photograph (20140726-2213JST) is a view of the southern sky, as seen from our dark spot.  My wife was aiming for the Milky Way; so, Scorpius appears at the bottom of the image.

So, here is my (by now obvious) question: is that M4 inside the yellow circle?

Many thanks!

post-31292-0-36963600-1406471329_thumb.j

post-31292-0-61601900-1406471336_thumb.j

By what Paul?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry. That was me diving into the M4 identification element and not twigging that there was a second photo (despite the OP clearly stating "the second photo"). One of the risks of doing things on the go and on a little screen.

For obvious reasons, I was struggling to work out how the first photo could contain the Lagoon, but thought it unlikely that you had made a mistake like that. I should have probably expanded on the nature of my confusion. Or read the post properly........

Paul

PS. How do you post a Sky Safari screenshot?

:-), easily done!!

With an iPhone, if you hold the power button down and quickly press the central button at the bottom, it takes a copy of the screen and puts it in the camera roll. Very handy for all sorts of things, including SkySafari

Stu

• 3 weeks later...

:-), easily done!!

With an iPhone, if you hold the power button down and quickly press the central button at the bottom, it takes a copy of the screen and puts it in the camera roll. Very handy for all sorts of things, including SkySafari

Stu

Hi Stu, is that the SkySafari Pro version?

Not an easy object from England, it is always low down. I was on it the other night with the 12 inch LX and even with that it's not in your face by any means. I have looked for it with my binos but at X10.5 I don't think there is really enough power and handholding is not the best thing to do.

I've only caught is a few times in the UK with the 10" Dob. Sometimes a faintish smudge, mostly empty haze.....

However, by moving 4° further south and to some dark dark sky, I got it in my 10x50s. It was very faint. Took a good ten mins to verify that this wasn't a case of wishful thinking, but it was definitely there, just like in the picture.

Paul

Archived