Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Revelation Astro 2" 42mm

I dont often do reviews, so bear with me while i do a short ramble on this Revelation eyepiece  :grin:

I originally bought this revelation astro 42mm superview to use in my 180 skymax, to try to get some low power views with it, my fist impression was "wow"  its big and looks to be rather well made, and very well priced, i seem to remember paying about £40 new and delivered          

post-8850-0-64679100-1406443368_thumb.jp

To give an indication to the size, the above pic shows the Revelation with my 20mm plossl!   I soon found the Revelation worked nicely in the skymax 180, but seemed to be really nice in my TAL100 f10, giving me x23 magnification, superb for sweeping the milky way from a dark site.

The optics are green coated, with no sign of any flaws, as to be expected with modern manufacturing process`s, shown below

post-8850-0-93094700-1406443412_thumb.jp

These eyepieces work very well in a half decent slow scope like my TAL, i now like to use it with my 150 pro skymax giving x42 magnification, and to be honest showing no distortion or other discrepancies like seagull or pincushion effect, i would guess these wont be so good in a fast scope, but would be interesting to try at f5, which i may well do at some stage and add to this report

These Revelation 2" superview ep`s are available in the following focal length`s    26mm    30mm  42mm and  50mm.

If you find yourself looking for a low cost 2" to use in a slow scope, you could do worse than try one of these :cool:  

Agreed Jules ...  :laugh:

I have the set comprising 30 , 42 and 50mm and would say that the 42mm is the pick of the bunch , especially for those occasions this time of year when you want to be sweeping across the Milky Way at low power ...  :smiley:

Agreed Jules ...  :laugh:

I have the set comprising 30 , 42 and 50mm and would say that the 42mm is the pick of the bunch , especially for those occasions this time of year when you want to be sweeping across the Milky Way at low power ...  :smiley:

Steve, how do you rate the 30mm, the 42 is 65 degree and the 30 is 70 degree, im thinking this might be worth owning

Jules you should do reviews more often, nice work.  I use my long eyepiece which is the 41mm Pan a fair bit in the slow scopes, I have to say I am not totally happy with it as it seems to verge on vignette at the very edge which for a Televue eyepiece is not good enough, it's not the scopes either. Wish I had kept the Meade 40mm fatso SWA which stands for " sure weighs alot ".

Alan.

Nice review Jules  :smiley:

I had the 30mm, 42mm and 50mm Revelations when I had an 8" SCT and they worked very well with that although, as Steve does, I felt the 42mm the best of them.

When I got my F/6.5 Vixen 102mm refractor though they did not do so well. For budget wide angle eyepieces F/7 often seems to be a tipping point where the astigmatism starts to play on your mind :rolleyes2:

I believe these eyepieces are an Erfle type desgn made, like most Revelation stuff, by GSO. 

• 2 weeks later...

Nice review Jules:-)

I'm thinking of the 42mm as well. I recently acquired a 30mm Moonfish clone with 80deg field after reading a lot of good things about them in slow scopes.

In my F15 frac I was gobsmacked, it far exceeded my expectations with stars pinpoint sharp to about 85-90% out and framing the Double Cluster, for example, with lots of room to spare

My scope will never be a wide field scope but the Moonfish really does give that spacewalk feel.

The 42mm appeals due to the lower magnification as the 30mm Moonfish gives about x63..the Revelation 42mm will being the low x40s.

GSO make some great value stuff when you think what we would have had to pay 20 years ago.

I notice that Telescope House and Harrison's are offering this range at £32.99,each plus around £3,shipping- great value!

Dave

Nice review Jules:-)

I'm thinking of the 42mm as well. I recently acquired a 30mm Moonfish clone with 80deg field after reading a lot of good things about them in slow scopes.

In my F15 frac I was gobsmacked, it far exceeded my expectations with stars pinpoint sharp to about 85-90% out and framing the Double Cluster, for example, with lots of room to spare

My scope will never be a wide field scope but the Moonfish really does give that spacewalk feel.

The 42mm appeals due to the lower magnification as the 30mm Moonfish gives about x63..the Revelation 42mm will being the low x40s.

GSO make some great value stuff when you think what we would have had to pay 20 years ago.

I notice that Telescope House and Harrison's are offering this range at £32.99,each plus around £3,shipping- great value!

Dave

The 42mm should work really well in the D&G, its a peach in my TAL100

Great review, a 42mm rev sits in my eyepiece case as well, very underrated and holds up well even in quicker scopes, lovelly sweeper, i even use it in the 102 f 5 and while the exit pupil is a bit big 8.5mm at 12 mag it gives 5plus degrees of sky, on those milkyway nights its great.

Nice review Jules, I was thinking about getting a WO UWA for my Tal but on the basis of this I might have changed my mind.

Missing the 2" diagonal at the moment but I suppose for around £40 I cod get one and sit behind it Percival Lowall style until I can fund a diagonal.

Nice review Jules, I was thinking about getting a WO UWA for my Tal but on the basis of this I might have changed my mind.

Missing the 2" diagonal at the moment but I suppose for around £40 I cod get one and sit behind it Percival Lowall style until I can fund a diagonal.

Jim, not sure if you will get enough out travel to focus this ep straight through, the 2" diagonal takes up a lot of light path, could be worth a try though, i might have a go at weekend and let you know

Edit.................just quickly tried this ep straight through in the TAL and yes it comes to focus, with a fair bit of travel still left, some false colour but very sharp, a lovely moon at x23 mag

Archived