SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M76, unmissable

cotterless45

Don't overlook this smaller version of the a Dumbbell nebula. I'd forgotten all about it. As it came into view I thought that it was a nice galaxy !

Really bright and comes up with a UHC filter.

Try the triple Cassiopeia cluster , in a line ,

NGC 663,

NGC 664 (very fine)

and NGC 659 (small core) .

This season's trending object being NGC 6811, The "Hole cluster" in Cygnus.

Still can't beat the floriferous dark laned NGC 7789 ( Caroline's Rose).

Cygnus

Along with NGC 6884 , a small x150 planetary nebula , one corner of a triangle.

NGC 6833, smaller between a double and a single.

NGC 6866 at x50, a smaller M29.

As suggested by S@N magazine.

Had three lovely crystal nights in a row, even NGC 7331 was bright with a companion. The sky has been stunning . Had a lovely junior hedgehog around the scope early on, hurrah !

Enjoy !

Nick.

Hi Nick. I too have had some great nights observing during the last week. Best was Weds 23rd, transparent and reliably clear in SE Essex.

I've seen M76 being reported as difficult, but no prob at all with my Dob from my light polluted back garden, and easy to locate close to naked eye stars. I recall it has two separate NGC designations.

New to me last year was Trumpler 1, tiny open cluster near M103, looks like a line of stars, push the mag up for a good look.

At Kelling star party with my club's 16" Dob, we used NGC 7331 to find the adjacent Dearlick galaxies, and to hop half a degree south to Stephen's quintet.

Thanks for your post, have yet to see all of those objects.

Regards, Ed.

M76 is one of many northern objects I'm looking forward to observing when I return from the land down under. As a kid I used to dream of being able to see the far southern objects - Patrick Moore made them sound so exotic! Now I'm dreaming of the far north. The grass is always greener :)

All the best

Tim

Archived