SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Lightweight stuff

Floater

I suspect this question has been posted before - and maybe it should be posted in the beginners equipment section - but I've had a scan through earlier posts and can't pin anything down, so:

Any recommendations, please, for a lightweight mount and tripod setup to carry a small scope?

At present, I have only a Vixen Porta II and want to use it solely for my TV76, while having another dedicated to my Solarmax 40. The Solarmax weighs 1.7 kg, or 3 3/4 lbs, according to my wife's kitchen scales. It is quoted online, variously, as weighing 3lbs or 4kg (I know!) .

I guess I don't need anything too robust. Plus the setup will be used for solar viewing only and prolly only in my own garden. Simple alt/az and no frills, bells or whistles required, I am thinking. But slo-mo knob thingies (to use a technical term) would be an advantage.

As ever, I'll trawl the used market but would like to learn about what I should have in mind while searching.

Any input gratefully received.

You could get another Vixen Porta, you can try yours with your Solarmax, see how the combo works ?

An alternative is this  http://www.orionoptics.co.uk/MOUNTS/alt-azmount.html  it's identical to my AstroTech Voyager, definitely the same mount ( seen it on the OO stand at Astrofest, just re-badged. )

Mine takes a standard Vixen / Skywatcher dovetail, has smooth slo-mo controls.

I firmly believe that OOs picture of using it with an 8" Newt would result in a very wobbly combo, but mine works well with 3 scopes - TeleVue Pronto, Lunt 35 Ha, and 90mm Mak ( for white light solar ).

Not sure what you want to pay of course, and they don't come up too often second hand.

Hope you find something suitable, Ed.

• 2 weeks later...

It only seems right to tie this off: I took delivery of a Vixen Porta Mini today.

All is good. The wee Solarmax sits well on the mount - and my missus has made a dust cover already!

Thanks again for replies.

It only seems right to tie this off: I took delivery of a Vixen Porta Mini today.

All is good. The wee Solarmax sits well on the mount - and my missus has made a dust cover already!

Thanks again for replies.

Good that you're sorted, these simple grab and go alt-az mounts get my vote for no hassle viewing with a small scope.

Hope the dust cover isn't pink or has flowers on it  :grin:

Regards, Ed.

Archived