Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

what Size secondary for a 16"

I have a 75mm in mine Dan, same primary.

I think the standard GSO secondary for this mirror is 82mm so the 75mm just covers it but only just! It was what Michael recommended at the time anyway.

thanks mike I think I'll go for the 82mm then.ive got to send it to Michael so he can put a heater on

Dan if you are getting Michael to make one just tell him exactly what equipment you use and let him work out which mirrors will be best. He's the one thats built hundreds of scopes and has the experience.

Also make sure you tell him if you are using Paracorr 2, SIPS, what focuser you have or want and what EP's you have? Its a custom scope Dan, give him the correct details and he'll build the scope around that.

this is more of a complex issue than it seems at first - you need to consider focal ratio, primary size , the types of eyepieces you use and the types of observing you prefer.

my 16" f4 is 82mm I think and anywhere between that and 75mm should service most generalist purposes I would think.

there's a good section on this in the Kriege and Berry book which I will try and sort out later.

Archived