Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Chill Out Sessions

Hi All,

It's been baking hot here in London - doing some star-gazing in the evening is a highly recommended method of cooling down at night. Not that I'm going to be able to go out tonight - two on the trot and my wife's new job requiring a 6am start makes these late summer nights even more antisocial than normal. But with cloud forecast to role in on Saturday night (My preferred observing night), I decided to take advantage of the bumper crop of clear skies (Three nights in a row! The British weather is spoiling us!).

Tuesday was dedicated to the return of the ST80 after its long absence - when you've been using 6'', going back down to 3'' really is a bit noticeable. I wanted to test drive the video tripod I got for it and it did work, but pointing at the Zenith is hard to impossible, and the controls are a little bit fiddly. Having said all that, I've now got a kit light enough to be hand luggage; especially so now my camera backpack has arrived and the ST80 is sitting snugly in it, ready for the call to action!). The skies are a bit murky, but I managed Saturn before heading over to the summer triangle and Sagittarius. I picked up a good view of the Lagoon Nebula, a small view of the Ring (It's easy to miss at this focal length), a nice bit of M13 and a stonking view of M27 (The last object I turned to, thus at the darkest time). The UHC filter does wonders for this little scope, although my BSTs are way to heavy for it.

Wednesday was more of the main event with the Dob rolled out to a slightly different position to take advantage of a clear Southern view. In the end the transparency was shocking so I stuck to the Summer Triangle for the most part with a quick sneaky peek at Sagittarius while I still can! Picked up the following highlights:

• Saturn - in moments of still air, with the telescope still cooling down, I managed to pick up the Cassini Division. I will miss Saturn, with the opportunities to view scarce over the coming few years.
  • M13 - The Glob that keeps on giving. It wasn't completely dark at this point but at x150 its outer portions resolved nicely.
  • M11 (Wild Duck Cluster) - The point where I realised it wasn't the best night - I could hardly make it out at first when it normally sparkles.
  • M57 (Ring Nebula) - The intergalactic Cheerio was doing the business, especially with the UHC filter in
  • Alberio - Just stunning in the Dob - even if you don't like double stars, it never fails to impress (Unless you're my Dad who couldn't see the colour difference)
  • M56 - Not done this one in the Dob yet. It's lovely, I ticked it off, but I can't help feeling I should pay it another visit once proper darkness returns at a reasonable time.
  • NGC6811 (Hole in a Cluster) - Caught my eye on Stellarium and revealed itself to be a nice dusting of stars with a vague gap in the middle.
  • NGC6826 (Blinking Planetary Nebula) - This was my favourite of the evening - an obvious blue disk which didn't blink much for me, but was still a lovely little PN. These objects really are good targets in the LP.
  • M8 (Lagoon Nebula) - A bit dissappointing in the rubbish transparency near the horizon. The cluster was shining brightly but the nebula was a damp squib.
  • M17 (Omega Nebula) - Still my favourite summer nebula, but it did really need the UHC this evening to stand out.
  • M22 - Even this normally magnificent globular cluster was suffering in the haze. Still, it's a great object, one of my favourites.

I did suffer from Veil fail - having read reports of other observers stuck under the light pollution but managing to view the Veil Nebula I gamely had a try. I had the 'scope pointing the right way but there was no Veil to be seen, even with the UHC filter. If anyone has any tips for successful Veil views in the city I'm all ears. Of course in September I intend to cheat by taking the ST80 to Northern Spain, but I'd love to get a look at it here in London.

Thanks for reading and here's hoping we get some more of these clear skies!

DD

[removed word]

I've had a couple of beautiful views of the Veil this week and I have some LP. The OIII filter has been the key. It was barely visible without it, if at all, but with the filter in it jumped out with lovely wisps in both sections. If you have a OIII give it a try

Kerry

The powers that be removed your name!!

Yes I was using it with the Dob and was really surprised at how visible the Veil was - a lovely sight. No luck with the North America though!

K

I really should have thought through my internet handle. It's actually a reference to an old Amstrad platform game rather than some kind of macho boast!

I'll persevere with the Veil - I have a UHC filter so I'll try again once it starts getting properly dark again at a decent time. The North America I've never found in 19 years of trying - I don't think it's real!

DD

I really should have thought through my internet handle. It's actually a reference to an old Amstrad platform game rather than some kind of macho boast!

I'll persevere with the Veil - I have a UHC filter so I'll try again once it starts getting properly dark again at a decent time. The North America I've never found in 19 years of trying - I don't think it's real!

DD

You should be able to get the Viel with your Dob and a decent UHC. Yes OIII is the preferred choice but I've seen parts of it very clearly with my ES UHC.

Paul

You should be able to get the Viel with your Dob and a decent UHC. Yes OIII is the preferred choice but I've seen parts of it very clearly with my ES UHC.

Paul

I just need the right night, and Wednesday wasn't it! There's plenty of time for the Veil though...

DD

I've seen Veil pretty clearly with my 5" and no filter - but that was under excellent sky last year. A UHC seems to help, though!

Last night the sky wasn't as good, but the 10" Dob, OIII filter, and wide field eyepiece showed their worth.

Archived