Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2" Astronomik UHC landed

Daniel-K

I ordered this yesterday at 14:30 from RVO, and it arrived this morning.  im not a massive fan of OIII and ive had a cheap UHC before and it though it was good, so I bit the bullet after reading reviews for a few weeks and decided to go with the astronomik the first thing you notice is the weight, much heavier than the low & mid priced filters. im looking forward to first light hopefully tomorrow  at a dark site :)

post-6284-0-70245400-1406222444_thumb.jp

post-6284-0-10657300-1406222471_thumb.jp

post-6284-0-47757800-1406222493_thumb.jp

The Astronomik UHC changes colour depending on the angle you are looking through. Silver, red or blue/green. It lets a bunch of Ha through as well as OIII and Hb and can be used photographically as well as visually.

it seemed like a good all rounder. plus the guys who I obseve with all have different brands of filters so it will make for a very interesting comparison between my astronomic, mikes baader, steves lumicon and mike NDP

hi Daniel

mine is apparently just a UHC but a budget one of course. according to their blurb it does have a similar band pass to the Astronomil ones. like you I may eventually get Astronomik replacements although this is likely to be when I have bought 'everything else' - not that I think I will ever get there!

I noticed the Astronomik UHC lets Ha frequencies through whereas the Lumicon one I have doesn't. Anyone know which targets this would make a difference on visually?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, it's difficult to get the colours you see to show in images.

This is the best I could do.

Standard UHC

post-5915-0-25772300-1406230558_thumb.jp

UHC tilted to sort of show the green

post-5915-0-12547400-1406230537_thumb.jp

OIII (looks blue here but is green to the eye)

post-5915-0-48965900-1406230588_thumb.jp

Stu, I didn't think it was possible to see Ha at the light levels we get in DSO's but it will show in photos taken using this filter.

Congratulations on your new filter Dan  :smiley:

I'd be interested in trying an Astronomik UHC sometime to see how it compares with the O-III of that brand that I currently have. When I switched to the Astronomik one of the things that I noticed was that stars were better defined in it than they were with less expensive filters - more pin point like with less of the slight ghosting that I saw using other filters. It's not a big deal though - one of presentation rather than substance I guess but it adds to the attractiveness of the view :smiley:

The most important thing is that they enhance the contrast of the DSO being observed as effectively as possible which the Astronomik also seem rather good at.

Archived