Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DSO's in a summer sky

Rumbold2010

Hi all,

As a relative newbie to astronomy ( first scope bought back in Nov) , I'm experiencing my first summer of astronomy and I'm do far somewhat underwhelmed. My fave DSO's ( M13/M3 ) were so much more impressive in the winter months but i don't want to waste a fresh sky full if new targets and just wait until sept/ cot again. Any hints/ tips for observing in not quite dark skies much appreciated. ( do have to qualify that though - got my first decent view of the Ring Nebula tonight and loved it )

Thanks as always :-)

Andrew

Perseverance? Most of the good stuff at this time of year are the things you can only see during the summer, so they're low down in Sagittarius, and that makes them tough. Sometimes, though, you'll get an unusually clear night, and get some grand views despite low attitude. You just have to keep trying.

The other option is to roll with it; try something else. I was out trying to hunt DSOs on Tuesday night, but conditions were rubbish. I knocked off 13 Messiers, but they weren't as impressive as I know they can be. Instead, I gave up, and started hunting double stars, as they would still cut through the bright skies. Managed a couple of tight ones, which was pleasing.

And it'll all be better in August, too!

Go looking for Planetary Nebulae - they tend to respond well to light pollution and are still visible in fairly light skies.

M27 has been mentioned and is a stunning object, but you could also go looking for M57 (The Ring) or NGC6826 (The Blinking Planetary) - both lovely with my 6'' in the depths of London last night.

Summer is also the only viable time to go looking for objects in Scorpius and Sagittarius - M17 (The Omega Nebula) and M22 are particular favourites of mine, and M6 and M7 are wonderful objects but very challenging due to their low elevation.

Good luck!

DD

You are actually fast approaching one of the best times of year to be out under the stars.

Late summer and early autumn are among the best times to use a scope before winter arrives. Bringing with it the usual three months of solid cloud cover and rain.

Don't wait for winter it's rubbish, get out there now :)

Clear skies

Here is a list:

Planetary nebulae:M27, NGC 6210, NGC 6543.

Emission Nebula:M8,M17.

Open Clusters:M11, M23, M24, M25.

Globular Clusters:M4, M5, M22, M92.

Double stars:Albireo, Gamma Delphini, Double-double, 61 Cygni.

Most of the good deep sky are in Cygnus and Sagittarius. These regions are also rich in stars, so just stroll around and you will be impressed!

Also, if you haven't done so already, get a good book like Turn left at Orion-many objects are listed there, most of which are easy for beginners.

Good luck!

The sky is beginning to get darker now. Give it a week or two and

The DSO's will have much of their old sparkle back. I've noticed a big improvement in the last 10 days.

+1 for M27 which is looking particularly fine at the moment.

Paul

Hi all - thanks for the advice :-)

2 nights ago it was lovely and clear so I went off in search of the targets mentioned here. Unfortunately M23,24 and 25 are much too low in the sky to be visible from my garden but other than that - what a treat I was in for!!!

Albireo has to be one of the most stunning double stars I have ever seen, and I followed this stunning sight up with M3 and M13, both looking really stunning. The Cats Eye also looked really great but the highlight of my night was undoubtedly the Dumbell . Amazingly clear!! I was even lucky enough at about 1am to get a decent view of Neptune which was an unexpected treat! One double star not on the list but one I very much enjoyed was Nu Dra- looking like a perfect snake bite in the dark sky.

Thanks to you helpful folk, never again will I assume that the lack of a perfectly dark sky is reason enough to leave the scope indoors, so again, many , many thanks :-)

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Archived