SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

More live stacking: M20, M16, B86 (Ink Spot)

Martin Meredith

Here's a few shots using LodestarLive v0.9 from earlier this morning (yawn  :smiley: ). All are 30s exposures or (mean) stacks of same, saved from LodestarLive with no further processing apart from cropping/zooming as mentioned below. All with the 80mm f6 achromat in alt-az mode, no filters.

First, the Trifid Nebula (M20). Left panel is a single sub, right is a stack of 5 (in both cases cropped).

post-11492-0-45320500-1406119060_thumb.p

Next, the Eagle Nebula (M16). Again, left is a single sub, right is a stack of 8 (slightly zoomed and cropped).

post-11492-0-33828600-1406119288_thumb.p

Finally, here's the dark nebula Barnard 86, better known as the Ink Spot, in the same field as the open cluster NGC6520. Left is a single sub, right is a stack of 4. This at the original scale and slightly cropped. I'm not sure that stacking has made much difference in this case.

post-11492-0-70502100-1406119818_thumb.p

Initial alignment was quite a long way off (in a rush, visitors!) which meant none of the objects started off on the screen and all objects had to be star-hopped, but that I'm finding is a lot of fun too and makes the entire experience even more like pure visual ;-)

cheers

Martin

Hi Martin

Great collection of images! There was a recent discussion on Cloudy Nights Electronic Assisted Astronomy regarding the new stacking feature in LodestarLive v0.9. I mentioned that a couple of people broadcasting live on NSN with their Lodestar cameras said they were experiencing a blurring look to the stacked imaged almost as if the image was out of focus. Having a look at your images I would now say that they are correct and the stack images are much softer. Perhaps the algorithm needs to be looked into and corrected?

Cheers,

Chris A

Astrogate

Hi MartinGreat collection of images! There was a recent discussion on Cloudy Nights Electronic Assisted Astronomy regarding the new stacking feature in LodestarLive v0.9. I mentioned that a couple of people broadcasting live on NSN with their Lodestar cameras said they were experiencing a blurring look to the stacked imaged almost as if the image was out of focus. Having a look at your images I would now say that they are correct and the stack images are much softer. Perhaps the algorithm needs to be looked into and corrected?Cheers,Chris AAstrogate

Chris,

Paul has pointed this out in his initial release of .9 (beta) Lodestar Live. He has also pointed it out in the write up included in the download folder here:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/220800-lodestar-live-version-09-beta-download-live-stacking/

Even though the stacking may soften or blur the image, I think it's important for LL users to continue to use the stacking feature to evaluate it's effects, both pro and con. After all, it is beta s/w and Paul needs our input to make it better.

I am confident that Paul is looking into it and will correct it. His efforts are a great help to the NRTV community and are greatly appreciated.

Don

Yes right Don and this is what beta testing is for and I agree. I have seen yet anyone mentioning the soft look to the stacked image both here and on CN so just mentioning what I am seeing. The image though are very nice and I really am enjoying which the couple of broadcasts especially from Tom's show live on NSN.

Chris A

Hi chaps,

Yep the blurring is on the fix list. The transformation algorithm currently in 0.9 is only temporary, I am going to be implementing a better one (albeit more complex) when work allows which is vastly reduce blurring (there will always be some, but thats the nature of resampling discrete signals...).

Once complete I will post a new release!

Hi Martin

Great collection of images! There was a recent discussion on Cloudy Nights Electronic Assisted Astronomy regarding the new stacking feature in LodestarLive v0.9. I mentioned that a couple of people broadcasting live on NSN with their Lodestar cameras said they were experiencing a blurring look to the stacked imaged almost as if the image was out of focus. Having a look at your images I would now say that they are correct and the stack images are much softer. Perhaps the algorithm needs to be looked into and corrected?

Cheers,

Chris A

Astrogate

Thanks Chris. Star selection and subsequent registration is a hard problem and I'm pleased that Paul had got as far as this in the first version. I've yet to have the algorithm show any catastrophic failures (i.e., complete misalignment) which is very impressive. It's a solid basis for enhancing the final transformation algorithm.  

Martin

Archived