Narrowband

M17 (Swan Nebula)

philj

Another clear one forecast for tonight so I set up the WO FLT98 on the HEQ5 at the top of the garden with intention of bagging M17 with a camera. (The only place I can get objects this low in the south due to my gardens aspect). Plus chopping an aged ragged conifer down  this week has opened up a small extra sector of sky from that position so I had to give the newly discovered piece of sky a try :grin:

I decided to go for the 1000d and guided with the finder guider and all went well. Captured using a remote timer release to keep things simple.

I messed up the darks and flats so this is uncalibrated therefore is cropped to take out vignetting. Stacked etc in Images plus and processed in PS7

The run started with a bit of light sky with 2 minute subs then went out to 4 minute subs. I fell asleep in the conservatory (nice and warm) so missed when the cloud came over so a few subs were washed out. This is about 25 from 40 minutes worth and is rather noisy, its not a mute Swan  :D  but hey its my 1st DSO image in months and my 1st 1000d image in lord knows how long.

m17b.jpg

Archived