Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How do I attach my DSLR to my refractor?

Nooby question I know; how would I connect my Canon 450D to a William Optics GT81 (the latter is yet to arrive)?

I assume I need some sort of 2" diameter tube with one end male threaded to fit a Canon T-ring? I don't own any field flatteners etc.

Thanks!

Your going to want a FF if you plan on imaging with that scope and want nice round stars corner to corner. Unless you plan to just do planetary. Then you can simply center the object. The T-ring attaches to the FF.

Need a T-ring for Canon.

Not sure they are 2", the one I have is 1.25", well maybe.

If 2" then I suspect you do not have a diagonal, in which case you need an extender to make up the length of the optical path in the diagonal.

You can get going without a flattener but eventually you will want tone. There is/was a dedicated WO flattener for the GT81, cost was £135. Check FLO and other imaging bias retailers.

WO flattener+reducers cost a fair bit more, but means "more" will fit on a chip. The GT-81 WO flattener may well extend the focal length so the scope could end up a bit slower then it started out.

Fitting a flattener can be a pain, there is spacing that has to be set accurately.

Check the overall prices, may just be less cost to get something like the GTF-81 (if they are still available here - Ian King)

May seem an odd step but also check for the new WO Star 71, heard nothing but good things about it on CN, it has the flattener built in as the GTF scopes do.

Small suggestion:- Buy the flatteners etc after getting the scope. Just in case you end up with a different scope.

Apologies: The flattener is a 2" fitting, shows you how much I have looked at mine (=0).

The T-ring and flattener really squeek badly when putting them together, a sort of painful squeeking of 2 bits of metal.

Archived