Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cygnus Region - 50mm Widefield - HA

Hi there!
Ok this is a shot I took last night of the Cygnus region (inspired by Proto Stars excellent example in Ha).
Details:
Astrotrac
50mm SMC Pentax M F1.4 @ F4
Astro Modded Canon EOS 1000D 
12nm Ha Clip filter
10min subs x 10
No darks, flats or bias frames
Processed using Photoshop
Things to improve:
Add more subs, take some dark frames to help smooth out the image and flats. I also plan to re-visit this one with the OIII and SII filters once I can afford them and create a colour image.
Thanks for looking!
Ste

Cygnus Widefield 50mm - Ha

Large version available here: http://www.astrobin.com/full/108973/0/

Hi Sub Dwarf,

Yes it is incredible how much structure is actually in this area... I remember taking a shot of this region without a Ha filter about a year ago and although you could see some structure it was nothing compared to using a Ha filter. Just a bit more practice with the Ha filter and some saving the pennies and I will be ready to attempt using all three narrowband filters to add some colour!!  :smiley:  

Thanks for the comments :)

Looks like another clear night tonight so going to head out and capture some more data for this one :) do people think it would be worth pushing for 15 mins subs on this? I want to get as much imaging time in as possible, so will likely not be taking any darks again, but I am fine with this.

Also just looked at some bi-colour images of this area and it pushed me over the edge so I went and bought the OIII clip filter :) (whoops)

Ste

Hey,

I managed to get out again last night and add some more data to this. Had to crop very slightly but 2x drizzled this time following reading about drizzle and Ha images. This one has an additional 8x10min subs bringing the total integration time to just over 3 hours. Taken with the same settings as the first image.

TWOFinal

Thanks for looking!
Ste.

You have inspire me!  I'm going to have a bash at reproducing this same view.  Don't worry, it won't be as good as your's.  I'll be using a modded Canon 1100D with Canon 50 f1.8. I'll use my Hutech IDAS filter + a Baader red filter on the lens - this is supposed to give a poor man's Ha set up.

Just ordered a 52mm to 48mm step-up ring so that I can fit the 2" red filter in front of the lens.

Thanks! ... Glad I have inspired someone! :)

Hopefully the OIII filter will arrive this week so I can try and get out to do the bi-colour image! Stay tuned I will be posting it up as soon as I can.

Ste.

Archived