Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ugh Teamviewer

Earl

I decided to set my observatory laptop to lan only, much quicker.

However.....

I log into teamviewer as i have it on all the pc's in the hose so i can remote update etc, having Lan only moves you to offline on your computers list.

Best alternatives?

Echoing what old pink has said.

In the *nix world thenVNC, with it's numerous clients, is far better than using team viewer. It's built in to macs and the nearest thing I have seen on the PC is remote desktop - available from MS - for stability and flexibility in all scenarios.

Remote Desktop.

The quality is soooo much better than TV.  it really is like sitting at the remote machine. I have a Win 7 machine in the obsy and 2 x Win 8 machines in the house. Any one of them can control the other. It's great when you have loads of solar data to stack....I get them all working on the data at the same time!

The obsy is connected over a 500Mbs Ethernet-over-power line. The extension is plugged into an external socket outside the house. It all works fine.

TeamViewer and VNC (as well as several other remote control apps) permit things like file transfers etc.

Does Remote Desktop offer the same functionality? I've only rarely used it, mainly because I couldn't figure out how to do anything other than start remote apps and similar.

TeamViewer and VNC (as well as several other remote control apps) permit things like file transfers etc.

Does Remote Desktop offer the same functionality? I've only rarely used it, mainly because I couldn't figure out how to do anything other than start remote apps and similar.

yes you can move files

as long as your drives are on the network you open up the remote desktop go to file manager copy the files you want and move them to the network drive of your choice

remote desktop works like you are actually using the remote computer, you can even have different logins for different accounts

LAN or WAN makes no difference to either solution. The reason for Teamviewer not seeing local systems is most likely with registration with TV servers. Even if the system will be reached by local direct access, it still needs to register with TV servers in order to pop up in the list.

RDP is built into Windows and the most efficient way of doing things. The system you want to take control of needs to be running Professional, Enterprise, Ultimate or Home Premium.

/per

yes you can move files

as long as your drives are on the network you open up the remote desktop go to file manager copy the files you want and move them to the network drive of your choice

remote desktop works like you are actually using the remote computer, you can even have different logins for different accounts

Ah. So it doesn't have the built-in functionality of TeamViewer or VNC, etc.

Pity.

Hello, 

If you establish a TeamViewer connection via LAN the connection will happen in your local network only, which is why it is fast. 

When using the regular connection via the TeamViewer ID, your connection should also be very fast at all times. If you are experiencing a slow connection in any way we recommend that you send your TeamViewer log files to our technical support: support@teamviewer.com Our technicians will be happy to look at your case. You can find the TeamViewer log files if you go to the TeamViewer menu in "Extras" - "Open log files". 

If you have any other inquiry regarding TeamViewer please feel free to contact us at any time. 

Best regards, 

Anna - TeamViewer

If you want to copy files with RDP you have two choices:

1) Enable local drives.

This way you get your local drives (from the PC you're sitting on) mapped in as drives on the computer you're controlling. Just open an explorer window and they're all there.

2) Copy-paste

Just go to an explorer window on your local system, select a file (or files or folders) and right-click/Copy. Then into your RDP window and past it an explorer window.

Here's an example of 1) while connected to another system with RDP (I am sitting on vCenter and connecting to another system). As you can see, all of vCenter's drives are automatically mapped into the controlled system's file system:

post-9361-0-20037300-1406131245.png

I use both TeamViewer and RDP for my astro needs. Teamviewer has the advantage of always finding its way in the world and RDP is extremely fast due to its usage of raw Windows graphics APIs instead of bitmap transfers. For anything involving straight image processing or photo viewig, I'd say TeamViewer is a tad faster.

All the best,

Per

Had remote desktop running happily on two XP Pro machines then had to go Win 7 and it all fell over, something to do with the Win 7 version but never got it sorted, now Win 8.1 so will it work now ?

Dave

Archived