Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Top 5 Recommended objects to see? (Beginner)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a good list, though as noted, Jupiter and the Orion Nebula aren't visible at the moment. If you mean 'That are visible now, with a telescope', I'd say:

• The Moon!
  • Saturn
  • M13 - The Great Globular Cluster in Hercules
  • M57 - The Ring Nebula (a personal favourite, though this does require fairly high magnification and a reasonable aperture scope to get the ring shape)
  • M31 - The Andromeda Galaxy (Though that's more an autumn object, but if you're up late it should be good!)

This site does a pretty good monthly chart: http://skymaps.com/ 

Moon - A great object for getting familiar with your scope, also superb changing views from night to night along the terminator.

M31 - The Andromeda Galaxy (autumn) the brightest galaxy in the sky

M42 Orion nebula (winter) - the most wonderfull nebula of the winter the sky

Jupiter - Bright, huge, lots of surface detail, easy to spot and as an added bonus 4 moons constantly changing position.

Saturn - those rings! once seen never forgotten!

All the above, great suggestions. I never get tired of Saturn (does anyone?) - leaves me glowing every time. Second TLAO, superb book. How about something like The Coathanger (Brocchi's Cluster) - it's simply fun to see :)

Still waiting for Wossits Cascade to get out of the streetlights....(why can I never remember whose Cascade when I'm typing?! Bear of Little Brain....)

Depending on what scope you have (the wider, shorter focal length the better), then the Pleiades are well worth looking at. However, you will have to wait until later in the year to view them at their best.

There are many interesting things to see in the night sky & depending on the time of year the objects visible change.

The biggest difficulty beginners face is not so much what is recommended but what is easiest to find. If you intend to have a non computerised telescope then you will be star hopping to your target. In addition to this other factors include how large (aperture) your scope will be, how much sky can you see (are there trees or buildings in the way) & how dark is your sky. The latter is important if you star hop as that will determine the stars you can see naked eye to start on.

At this time of year it does not get so dark & for me in Norwich in my back garden I may be able to see stars as dim as 4.5 some times.

So with that in mind good things to look at about now excluding the moon & planets are

M57 Ring nebula found almost in the centre of a line between stars gamma(mag 3.25) & beta(mag 3.5) in Lyra

M13 globular cluster found about 1/3rd down on the line between eta(mag 3.44) & zeta(mag 2.87)  in Hercules (visible in 50mm binoculars)

The double cluster found on a line about 2/3rd from delta(mag 2.62) in Cassiopeia & eta(mag 3.75) in Perseus (visible in 50mm binoculars) 

M27 Dumbbell nebula a bit more trick but found about 2/5th from star 13(mag 4.56) in Vulpecula to eta(mag 5) 1.5 degrees away from gamma(mag 3.5) in Sagitta

Albireo beautiful coloured double star at the head of Cygnus

A star map is a must to help you find these.

There are lots of interesting & fairly bright objects to see but they involve star hopping more than a finderscope's field of view (about 5 degrees) away from a bright starter star. With practice & patience hundreds of objects can be found simply using a red dot finder, finderscope & wide field low power eyepiece with a star map. 

I'd show anyone who was starting,

the whole Moon, then zoom in on the terminator.

Saturn, then zoom in to spot Cassini.

M13 as an example of a stunning old globular cluster.

Bode's, M81 and M82, to show the sort of fuzzies we spend hours chasing.

M31 by eye, then by scope.

Anyone still there would then get a current night sky tour followed by some extraordinary double stars and open clusters, hurrah !

Nick.

Well I think everyone's listed my recommended beginner's objects:

• The Moon - Because you can't miss it
  • Saturn - Because the rings speak to us of the exotic unknowns of space
  • M13 - Because it's the easiest of all the globulars to find
  • M11 - Because it's beautiful whatever your equipment is
  • M42 - You won't see it now, but then you don't see stars being born every day!

Thanks,

DD

First and foremost, before you go looking through telescopes, I recommend you look at the night sky!

You can miss so much while looking though a telescope  :)

Maybe I'm biased because my best memories are of discovering the constellations and actually getting to know the sky. Then when you've got some familiarity finding things other than the moon will be so much easier!

you can also look deeper into the constellations with binoculars and find some hints of the deep sky beyond.

So item no 1 or me is simply: The Sky!

Someone mentioned Stellarium. I'd second that and say that initially it's the only tool you'll need.

A very realistic and beautiful representation of the sky.

One thing that hasn't been recommended yet (at least I think it hasn't) is our own galaxy. Views of the Milky Way from a dark site are breathtaking. I never tire of it.

5 objects............Tricky !  I agree with all the above recommendations but is the double cluster in Perseus not a contender here?  It certainly ain't a bad beginner's object in my opinion, also what about the coat-hanger just for the pure cartoon value.  

I was thinking more about this and another object bears mentioning. M94 has a very high surface brightness and holds up very well in light polluted skies. It was my first galaxy, so it will always be rather special to me. It is not too difficult to find, provided you can see Cor Caroli, a fine double star in its own right.

I recommend these objects:

Moon:

Easy to find and bright. There are two main features on it: craters and mare. The first are created from collisions with meteorites, while the second are from flooded lava. The first quarter moon will be the best time for observing-the terminator(where light and dark side meet) is the place to look for craters-there they are best visible. The first quarter moon can be found to the south-southwest in the evening in the period 1-8 August.

Saturn

Also bright and easy to find, look to the southwest-west in the evening. Saturn will be the brightest star in the area-it is yellow and doesn't twinkle, unlike the other stars in the area. With a telescope it's rings are easily distinguished from the small yellow orb which is the planet itself. An amazing sight.

Mizar and Alcor

Find the Big Dipper high in the west. Mizar is the middle star in the handle. It is a very wide double-the slightly dimmer companion to Mizar is Alcor. The distance between the two appears to be a third of the diameter of the full Moon (this is how they look like, not there real size). Mizar separated from Alcor is also a double-a closer one but still easy. You should be able to split it with a medium power eyepiece.

Albireo-find the Big Dipper high in the northwest. Follow the line created by the two stars closest to the handle, in the direction opposite to the open side of the handle. You will reach two bright stars-Vega(the brighter one) and Deneb. Deneb is the top of the Northern Cross, the bottom passing below Vega. The bottom star described is Albireo. It is a double star-an easy one even in low power. The brighter primary is orange, while the dimmer companion is blue. A great sight.

M57

Halfway between Vega and Albireo are two bright stars, similar to the brightness of Albireo. Between them is M57-a bright, but small nebula. It should look like a ring-hence it's name The Ring nebula. It should look visibly flattened. Use higher magnification on it.

There are many, many other fantastic summer objects, but these are some of the best. As other's have recommended, get yourself a good book like Turn left at Orion-many more objects are described there, as well as a host of usefull information.

A tip:find these objects with low magnification, and then steadily increase. This way they are easier to find.

im a beginner myself, but heres my top 5 at the moment:

albiero - i was shocked the first time i saw the colours of the two stars

m13 - really nice globular, bright and easy to locate

m31 - andromeda galaxy is in a nice altitude this time of year, i could see it last night with 10x50 binos even at my high polluted location 

epsilon lyrae - at first look it is just a regular double but under high magnification (150x and up) you can see that each star is a double star itself, thats why its called the "double double"

and my own personal addition 

m25 - a really beautiful open cluster at Sagittarius, very bright and easy to locate. nothing really spacial about it, but i find myself admiring it allot lately since i can find it quiet easily

and it shines bright even with high city lights around me.

I would like to suggest one of each type and at this time (July/August)

Planet: Saturn

Cluster: M13

Double: Albireo

Galaxy: M81

Nebula: M57

Though there may alternative suggestions from the SGL collective. ;)

I am also going to come at this from a different angle, because it needs planning and investigation;

1. A Jovian moon transit (even better if a double or treble)

2. Lunar X

3. Straight Wall

4. The sun (special equipment required, do not view the sun without the necessary filter, get advice from eg SGL and take great care !!!!)

5. A comet

My advice, whatever you look at, spend time at the eyepiece and see detail gradually emerge - at times you will be surprised how much/what 'jumps out' as your view develops.

Archived