Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Sweden

Rickard

Hi!

I just opened up an account and thought I would say hello. I am not yet a true stargazer. Just generally interrested in physics/astronomy/cosmology.

Anyway, I wolud apreciate a few pointers as to where to begin since I really want to get into this.

What kind of cool stuff could i see with my bare eyes? What could I see if I were to invest in a telescope? I need something to really get me hooked!

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

Heya and a warm welcome from Norway  :smiley: .

Its difficult to predict exactly what gets an individual hooked regarding the night sky:

Unbelievable crisp views of the moon, Great red spot and belts of Jupiter , rings of Saturn or maybe deep space objects like faint galaxies or clusters. 

I do recommend you to read "What can I expect to see.." under the 'Getting started with observing' section. It gives you an idea of, well what to expect to see....

I started up with a small 5" telescope (bought from Astrosweden) and was impressed how well a small budget scope could perform.

And yes : do some research before buying your first scope.

Rune

Hi Richard & Welcome to SGL.  If you post in the Beginners Section when the time comes for you to buy your telescope, you will get good advice there & more people will read it.

Thanks guys!

I´m not planning on puting down any money at all before I know what to expect. Just looking learn more at this point!

I checked out the "What can I expect to see"-section. Seems like what i needed.

I do live near Uppsala (Gävle) so I might check out UAA!

Welcome to this wonderful world of SGL - THE best resource of knowledgable astronomers on the web!

I suggest you go to a local astronomy society gathering and have a look through some different telescopes and binoculars with the owner letting you know what you are looking at. Astronomers do seem to be a very friendly bunch, always willing to share the beauty of the firmament with anyone who will look! The planets and the moon through a scope are always amazing.

Naked eye observing is great too. Get a simple book and just try and make out the constellations. You can then begin to see what is in those areas.

Good luck and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived