Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Power connectors

tekkydave

I am starting to build a power supply box for my outside semi-permanent pier. It will live inside another waterproof box and will have power outputs for scope (12v), canon dslr (7.5v), and 5v for anything that needs it. There will also be a 7-way usb 2 hub and 12v dimmer for dew control. Im having problems choosing power connectors. I would like to use xlrs but they are so expensive. I dont like rca phonos for dc power, or cigar connectors or 2.1mm types. I would like a 5-pin connector so i can have say 4 or 5 identical connectors with different voltages on the pins. The lead for each device will then be connected to the correct pin. Any suggestions for these. They will need to be able to take 5A current per pin and locking would be nice. It would need to be a socket on the box and a plug on the lead. An alternative might be a 2-pin connector with coded positions so its not possible to plug a 5v device in a 12v socket. What have others used for their projects?

buy XLRs in bulk they are cheaper and very reliable but you can still plug one into the wrong connector

you could always use males for 12v and female for 5v and a RJ 11 / 45 for the 7.5

being a sound engineer I have to repair lots of XLR's on a regular basis I have loads lying around
if I get around to building a permanent installation I'd go with XLR for 12v and use one of my old multi cores

http://www.andertons.co.uk/adaptors-amp-connectors/pid10511/cid771/andertons-pro-sound-female-xlr-plug-end-of-the-line.asp

40p a plug

I have 5 x 5 pin xlr sockets already I can use for the box but I would need the right-angle 5-pin plugs due to space restriction in the outer enclosure. They are not so cheap unfortunately. As an ex-engineer myself I know nothing can beat xlrs for quality & relieability so I may end up going that way. I am curious if anyone has found any suitable alternatives.

8 pin speakons
I use them to sent a full range signal as well as low mid & high from 2 matched 20k 3 way racks racks out to the bins and use XLR outs to feed the mid & high cabinets from the bins

but TBH they are a PITA to set up and not compatible with my other rigs using standard 4 core speakons 

post-34443-0-80940000-1405807526_thumb.j

post-34443-0-24112000-1405807803_thumb.j

8 pin speakons

I use them to sent a full range signal as well as low mid & high from 2 matched 20k 3 way racks racks out to the bins and use XLR outs to feed the mid & high cabinets from the bins

but TBH they are a PITA to set up and not compatible with my other rigs using standard 4 core speakons 

Thanks for that. I had looked at these, the 4-pin might be more useful for my project. Overall protuding length is the issue for me if I want to leave the connectors in-situ and close the outer waterproof box. Needs to be 32mm max including cable which is why the 90deg xlrs would be ok. Why are they a PITA to set up?

Archived