Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Homebrew Skymax 102 extended/fine focuser

badhex

Hi all

I've seen a few posts on various homebrew fine focuser mods to improve the troublesome Skymax focuses ranging from peanut butter lids to motorised systems, so I thought I'd have a crack myself. The jar lid mod is not a option on the 102 as there's no room so I took inspiration from the astro engineering extenders to create the below.

It's a 8mm socket bit which fits snugly inside the focuser with the addition of a touch of electrician's tape once the rubber grip is removed. I then took a standard screwdriver/socket bit and glued/heatshrank it onto a piece of the flexible coated washing line cable. Now all I need is something for the grip on the other end, akin maybe to the grips on the end of slow motion stalks. I'll probably also shorten the piece of washing line once I know what I'm going to attach. Not tried it in the field yet as it's a WIP but will report back once I have a suitable grip (and clear skies of course!)

post-8274-0-97511500-1405800537_thumb.jp

post-8274-0-07747600-1405800686_thumb.jp

Archived