Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQMOD 'Connection timeout' error

Anweniel

Any ideas what could be giving me this error?

I am attempting to use eqmod with my newly acquired second hand EQ6 Pro.

Previously I have automated my CG5 through Cartes du Ciel (going through the handset) and run all my other imaging software at the same time without any trouble. Although I do use a very outdated old XP laptop.

I have checked the mount operates ok by using the handset to slew and goto and even on a couple of imaging runs.

I am using the Hitecastro serial to usb cable straight from mount to laptop and have checked (and double checked) the port settings.

The mount operates ok for a few minutes, then the cartes du ciel program grinds to a halt and the error message 'connection timeout' flashes on the eqmod. Following this the program responds very sluggishly and the mount wanders on very odd slews and park positions.

Could the Hotec cable be to blame despite being brand new? Is eqmod eating my crappy laptop?

You probably have an incorrect COM port selected. Some EQDIR chipsets are a bit fussy about COM ports and Windows doesn't clear them, just assigns a new one to it. once you get over COM 16 EQMOD doesn't recognise the EQDIR.

Search online for how to manually assign a com.

<edit> Dunno about the weird errors. it's possible that the lead is knackered? I spent ages trying to diagnose an EQMOD problem until I found a cracked solder joint in the plug!

Clicking the binoculars in toolbox tells me COM8 as does my device manager. The cable is brand new and arrived yesterday! I guess its possible that its dodgy.

Everything else seems ok just the comms and the program slowing up. Not sure if eqmod is slowing the computer or if its constantly searching for a signal and losing it?

Clicking the binoculars in toolbox tells me COM8 as does my device manager.

The drivers installed themselves when i plugged the cable in. I guess I could try checking them.

Thanks for the responses guys

Check the COM port settings:

Start -> Run -> Device Manager

Find your COM port, right click -> Properties -> Port Settings

Check the settings are 9600 / 8 / none / 1 / none   (caveat: I *think* these are the right settings!!)

If these are OK, try lowering the TX/RX buffers

Port Settings -> Advanced

Reduce them down one tick at a time to see if that helps

Also, in Advanced, you can re-assign the port number. Windows will tell you / complain if the port is allocated, but it will let you change it still.

Try a different USB port on the computer

Are you using a hub? Is it reliable and is it powered?

Change to Windows 7 ;)

• 1 year later...

this is handy for me as mine went the same way last night. Its possible I used a different USB port as I have three of them on my laptop so may have put it in a different one the others were for BYN and the focuser. think labelling is the way to go in future

Guys

If you are running Windows 10 the usb to serial lead needs an older driver, the new one won`t work with Win 10! Windows will install the latest driver but you must use an earlier one. I`ll find the details if needed!

Steve

Guys

If you are running Windows 10 the usb to serial lead needs an older driver, the new one won`t work with Win 10! Windows will install the latest driver but you must use an earlier one. I`ll find the details if needed!

Steve

It depends on the chip set in the EQDIR lead.

The drivers installed themselves when i plugged the cable in. I guess I could try checking them.

Thanks for the responses guys

Hi,

Don't use the generic driver that Windows loads by default when you plug the cable in, it causes most of the problems you describe... go to the Hitec website and download the correct Prolific driver for your device... then replace the Windows driver with this in Device Manager.

3rd item down on this page: -

http://www.hitecastro.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51&Itemid=55

This is for the early versions of the EQDir unit.

If you have the latest version then you need the driver at the bottom of this page: -

http://www.hitecastro.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=49:eqdir-adaptor&catid=37:eqdir-adaptor&Itemid=54

It is advisable to have the latest version of EQASCOM installed before installing any drivers.

I hope this helps.

Sandy. :grin:

Archived