Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eimer Sternen Observatory Build

RCompassi

Hello, fellows!

I started to build a ROR observatory to hold my 12" GSO in a GEM.

Here is the job o far:

Starting to dig the corner posts holes:

1+cavando+postes.jpg

Planting the 4x4 posts and leveling:

2+poste+plantado.jpg

Pouring concrete in the holes:

3+poste+concretado.jpg

Pouring the foundation:

3+alicerce+concretado.jpg

(Messy) foundations done:

4+alicerce+pronto.jpg

Some bricks laid:

6+tijolos+conclu%25C3%25ADdos.jpg

Corner posts cut to the right height (yes, it will be low, with 1,6m walls to get a good clearance)

9+Postes+serrados.jpg

Preparing to pour the concrete:

11+camada+brita.jpg

Halfway done:

12+meio+contrapiso.jpg

Tomorrow I hope I can finish the floor (this thing is damned hard to do, my arms is soooo sore! No concrete mixer here, sir, doing all old style).

Another layer of quick cement will be set later for the ceramic tiles, so the slight ondulations doesn't matter a lot.

Cheers!

Thanks, guys!

No need for membrane, the terrain have a small incline and the water doesn't Stay for long.

All the loose earth will be removed later, when the obsy is done (will have to do some scaping to appease my girl, ehhe).

Today's progress:

Finished the concrete pour:

13+contrapiso+completo.jpg

And started the woodworks!

14+in%25C3%25ADcio+estruturas.jpg

I guess I'm getting rain for 3 days, so, will have to take a break for now!

Stay tuned!

Made some progress today!

After a lousy rainy morning, the weather cleared for the rest of the day.

Installed the support beams for the roll off roof:

17+suporte+roll+off.jpg

Installed the rails for the roof:

17+guia+das+roldanas.jpg

I'm using these wheels. They are used in rolling gates:

18+roldana.jpg

And tested the roll off system, and it works flawlessly!

19+pr%25C3%25A9+telhado.jpg

Next step is the roof!

Nice work and superb location :-) As you say 'sore arms' are part of the necessary pain and although a bit late for this projects a concrete mix tip may help .......

minimise any lift of material by working direct on the ground covered with heavy duty sheet of polythene. The mix is made pulling in the corners of the sheet to 'fold' the mix into itself and repeated until the mix is even and consistant ready for placing. Let gravity do the work - Worked a charm for my solo obsy project :-)

minimise any lift of material by working direct on the ground covered with heavy duty sheet of polythene. The mix is made pulling in the corners of the sheet to 'fold' the mix into itself and repeated until the mix is even and consistant ready for placing. Let gravity do the work - Worked a charm for my solo obsy project :-)

Same technique I used on my build - very handy for small scale concreting.

Greetings

What an awesome vista you have there the skies are just waiting!

I've looked at some of your pictures and I realized a massive error in my recent obsy build! it should have been 5m to the west of yours!

looking forward to your build, good luck

Andy

I've looked at some of your pictures and I realized a massive error in my recent obsy build! it should have been 5m to the west of yours!

Hahahah, nice, Andy!

My skies are pretty good! I measured visually the limiting magnitude at the zenith and could see a magnitude 6.1 star, next to Antares (can you imagine the center of the milky way at the zenith with this limiting magnitude? It's pretty awesome!)

Today I installed the door. I just put a external latch... and got locked inside, ahhah. I need to buy a proper door lock.

36+porta+pronta.jpg

This is my assistant cat, called Fred. Sometimes he thinks he is transparent and just sits in front of the monitors.

37+Fred+assistente.jpg

I had some leftover ceramic tiles from another construction, and used them. Some had broken corners, but..... meh, I don't really care. (keep in mind that I never did this kind of thing before, so the job is very sub par). Also, I need to place the corner cuts later, after the mortar is fully cured.

39+fim+piso.jpg

The end is near!

• 2 months later...

Thanks guys!

Yes, I have to point sideways to close and open the roof, but ended with 1 inch of room between the tube and roof!

The light pollution is somewhat low in here, I managed to see mag. 6.1 stars at the zenith once (and can see the helix nebula in my 8x50 finder, with averted vision)

Cheers

Archived