Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Comet Jacques coming around

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had a very clear patch between 22.30 and 23.15 with little LP - looks very nice in my 5" Mak with a 32mm Plossl, with a very clear fan shape, brighter star embedded in the head and a faint star in the tail. Certainly the nicest I've seen it.

Chris

,, and another Stock whilst touring Comet Jack's vicinity !

Extend a line from delta Cas to eta Cas and you come to a little asterism of stars, nice group but didnt look particularly remarkable in 10x50, it seems that Herr Stock thought it worthy of note

= Stock 5

:)

Enjoy.

Jacques has risen high enough to be plainly visible in my 9x50 finder now and really quite bright in the 12" dob. The larger aperture does not seem to have revealed a whole lot more in terms of structure though. The cometary coma is more extensive with the larger aperture and not seem evenly spread around the nucleus with a bias to one side. I could not see any signs of a tail even when using averted vision though.

Jacques is a decent and readily observable comet at the moment and well worth hunting down if you have yet to see one.

Agree with John. Splendid sight in the Dob last night and a silly little ditty popped in to my head:

To the tune of Frere Jacques (all together now):

Comet Jacques, Comet Jacques

Splendid view, splendid view

Up in Cassiopeia, up in Cassiopeia

Splendid view, splendid view!

Sorry

Kerry

Another good clear sky for a couple of hours to again watch the comet speeding along in 10x50 :)

but this time I had to wait to dark-adapt a bit before finding it.

( unlike a few evenings ago http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/220109-comet-jacques-coming-around/page-4#entry2400074 when it jumped out at me.)

So it may not be with me much longer :(

Thinks,,, must get a bigger 'scope ,,,,

Anyone for a "Stock Challenge" ? :)

Stock 23 , 5 ,

Great view of Comet Jacques last night. Easy on binoculars, finder and telescope. No tail tough on my 12"Dob and A.V. Very easy to see it moving through the stars. Some stars occasionally were embedded inside de Coma. Pseudo nucleus easy to see. Quite bright. I didn't have the perception of colour, but the pseudo nucleus gave me a greenish impression, perhaps just predisposition. 

I had some breaks looking M11, M26, M27, NGC6633, M33. And back to Jaques. So many thing to see around Jaques as well in Cassiopeia.

Great night!

I decided I better go and have a look last night before it fades. I thought I could see it in 8 x 40's but not 100% sure, I then switched to the strathspeys and could see it in the bino's finder. At 25 x it was nice and distinct with a hint of green but no tail. Very nice little comet :smiley:   

Evening everybody,

So I was using my C8 SCT last night unpowered for the first time and I managed to bag Jacques! It's my first time looking for a comet so I was very pleased when I finally nabbed it. I must confess I was slightly disappointed I didn't get any colour. Is this a feature reserved for images only or does it hunt I need darker skies?

Looks good for tonight again, good luck!

I didn't see any colour in the comet either and that was using a 12" scope. I see most deep sky objects in shades of grey too with just very subtle tints of colour in one or two objects.

I think I got it in my 10x50s. Not very impressive visually tbh through binos and I'm now kicking myself for not setting up my scope but I didn't get home until 9 and I'm in work at 7am. Damn that's no excuse! Still I'm pleased I've at least seen it.

Just come back in after having a scan with the bins.

Good job I checked Stellarium for a position. I half expected just to pick it up without trying.

It turned out to be quite difficult. What looks like gaps in the clouds must still have some high cirrus obscuring the sky.

Even the Double Cluster was very unspectacular :(

Anyway, I got Jacques but only just.

I suspect that'll be my last sighting considering the weather forecast.

Very good atmospherics tonight and Jacques still looking good at lower mags. Not sure it looked as brightly compact as before and maybe a little more diffuse? Cracking night for all sorts, like M31 Andromeda, with no moon to speak of, so conditions were ideal for it.

Wish I didn't have to work early tomorrow, I'd still be out there now!

Distinctly underwhelming now in my 10x50

I was first out about 11pm and failed to find it without aid of charts ( unlike previous nights )

but then I noted NELM was only about mag4 despite what seemed like a nice clear sky, so high thin haze must have been the culprit.

Anyway, fire up Stellarium and there is a nice easy star hop from near gammaCas to 32Cas(aka HIP5582) and there it was, just !

But a second visit now past midnight, NELM improved to about mag5 (eta UMi vis.) and the comet much easier in 10x50

Archived