Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Red Dot Finder?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought this one.  It's also available with a detachable base for £2 more.  Alignment is adjustable within limits and the brightness is adjustable (I generally use it at it's lowest setting).  It's not the most sturdy of finders, but does the job nicely.

Many thanks guys. The Rigel Quickfinder looks very much like a Telrad which I find hard to use as I have varifocals. I sold it just recently and will try a cheap red dot for the time being. I'll have a go at the eBay one. Then poss the Baader Sky Surfer.

Lee, was it the Sky Surfer you said was too bright?

+1 for the Baader sky-surfer - well made piece of kit with good brightness adjustability. Zero magnification with a 'right way up' image - very intuitive in use.

I've just coupled it with a Skywatcher 9x50 RACI finder - red dot navigates you there, RACI gets you bang-on.

That said, there's soooo many good reviews about both the Telrad and Rigel units, especially for star hopping, that you should consider those.  I just found them a bit ugly for my liking.

Thanks Mace. I mentioned I couldn't use the Telrad because of my varifocals. It was OK when not at an awkward angle (doesn't happen often!) but I got double vision with my head on one side (happens a lot!)

Ahh yes. Sorry - misread that - you might have the same problem with the Baader in that case - you still have to get behind it which can involve a bit of contortion (on the 220p that can be tricksy, not so sure about the frac.).

RACI or scope mounted well-aligned lazer-pointer, perhaps??

Thanks Mace. I have been considering a laser pointer, but I thought I'd try a cheap red dot first. I'm not sure about a RACi. But then if I can figure out AstroTortilla I might not need a finder at all!

Many thanks guys. The Rigel Quickfinder looks very much like a Telrad which I find hard to use as I have varifocals. I sold it just recently and will try a cheap red dot for the time being. I'll have a go at the eBay one. Then poss the Baader Sky Surfer.

Lee, was it the Sky Surfer you said was too bright?

No Gina, I bought a cheap ebay one - far too bright in my opinion. I guess I could have put in a pot, but too lazy to mod it.

Lee

I don't think I've ever needed to perform contortions to look through my Baader RDF... Just need to get down behind the scope... that's one of the reasons I like them, you don't need to be close to use them. (that's the same on the 80ED as it is on the 6" RC). Ok my scopes aren't a 200p... but... if you can get behind the base of the scope, you'll be able to use the RDF keeping normal head orientation.

• 1 month later...

I bought a finderscope to supplement the rdf on my startravel 102. I put the scope in the adapter slot. I took the mounting shoe off the rdf and put a square nut in the groove under the rdf. This fitted the thread on the camera mount on the rear tube ring. I turned it on a couple of threads then used the black locking ring to hold it in place. When I figure out how to upload a photo I will do so.

When you reply there's 'More Reply Options' at the bottom right of the reply pane. Click that and an 'Attach Files' field appears at the bottom. Click 'Browse', navigate to your file, double click to add it to the post, wait for it to appear then click 'Attach This File'. That's it!

Archived