Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Caught the ISS in the Newt tonight

I have just been outside to look at Jupiter nLow east for one of the last times for a while (It did not get vis in the bright

eastern sky until 22:00 and set for me at 20 past). and also awaited the ISS 1st pass this eve.

It showed up slightly later than forecast but as I had the scope low pointing west I was able to get my scope on

it (Handraulic drive system) and chase it up towards the zenith. The two main arrays were visible and the dark-line of the

main station even through my tracking was shakey and somewhat jumpy at times.

Too fast for me at the zenith, so I tracked it with my binos to the East. It dimmed but was bright enough for N/E

Viewing right down to my Eastern Horizon (Rooftops down-hill) at about 8-10 degs above the true Horizon.

I love it when a plan comes together.

Next pass is SW to SE at around 11:43. Thin cloud here so not sure if I will be there when IT is, work early

Clear skies,   Mick

Was it the ISS I saw about 45 mins ago, rising near Regulus and then going past Denebola and just below Arcturus? It was Venus brightness at its brightest, and I tracked it in my 25*70 bins. Near due south it had a definite half moon shape in them, and either side of it it was elongated, like a cigar shape but I'm sure I could make out points on it as well. Can you really see details on it in binoculars?

Another two passes later on,

One at around a minute to eleven WNW to ESE, and One at half past midnight.

Skies are clear-ish and I'm off tomorrow.    Jupiter and Mars early on, ISS, Saturn, ISS again and some DSOs I think.............

Mick.

Archived