SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Solar imaging with a Baader UV/IR cut filter

On the weekend I attended the IAS festival and was interested in H.Alpha and White Light set ups.

I had a discussion with one particular stand owner about White Light Solar viewing and imaging using a Herschel Wedge. He advised me that I should use a Baader UV/IR cut filter in addition to my Baader Continuum filter because the final image would be much sharper.

I was not not convinced but decided to google to see what could be found on the topic. Well here it is - http://www.schursastrophotography.com/solar/Articles/solararticle3.html

The conclusion looks pretty impressive so has anyone tried this combination?  I have always been very satisfied with the view and imagine that I had taken through my 4" APO - Herschel Wedge + Continuum filter but for an additional £43 I am happy to experiment.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/uv-ir-filters/baader-uvir-cut-filter.html

Any thoughts?

This is another good page about using narrow band filters with the UV/IR.

http://dailysolar.weebly.com/white-light-imaging-with-narrowband-filters.html

I don't really use an UV/IR simply because I can't fit it in the train without using an adapter I don't have but I use an astronomik OIII clip filter.

I think it may vary a little too depending on what setup you have, can't say for certain but I imagine a wedge will be slightly different to a film filter and likewise different apertures and whether it's a frac or newt.

To ascertain for certain I will need to be sent a wide variety of telescopes, cameras, filters and accessories so I can gather as much data on all the potential variances. :D

Results to be posted...... eventually. :p

I have a rather hazy Sun at the moment but it gives me an opportunity to see if I can gain focus using the Baader Neodymium filter as well as the Continuum filter. The binoviewers goes almost to the limit of the inward focus of the Astro Tech Frac - in fact I have just a centimeter left. Adding the Baader Neodymium filter into the train takes that limit almost to the buffers - about a millimeter left.

Although I can see the Sunspots the quality of the seeing does not allow a comparison to be made. Hopefully, the Sun will shine tomorrow or Friday to do both a visual and imaging test.

The addition of a UV-IR cut is usually considered for imaging (not visual) were there may be a leak of IR to the camera....

Bear in mind that the response curve of the usual CCD camera "flat lines" around 1000/1100nm, and doesn't record into the NIR etc.

So hopefully you don't need a UV/IR cut, then, Mark, if your camera cuts it anyway?

I get a fuzzy image when capturing if I don't use a UV/IR cut with my Tele Vue 85, Lunt 1.25 wedge and Solar Continuum. Whereas I don't need to use a UV/IR cut with my Equinox 120, Baader wedge and Solar Contiuum, the image is great on screen without one. As far as I know, that's because the scope's Schott glass element cuts IR :laugh:

I ran into this when trying to image with my Celeston Onyx 80mm. I got disappointing results, which puzzled me because views through the eyepiece were very good. It was the IR leak :eek:

I'm a little confused by this, I image the sun using a Baader solar continuum filter and an ASI120MM without an IR/UV cut filter just the Baader solar film.

I get plenty of granulation and detail, certainly a lot more than seen on that first link.

I'm not aware that my scope has any IR cut in it, wouldn't that likely effect Ha transmission?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is this with your refractor, Dan? I think how much the UV/IR cut helps depends on your refractor. H-a won't be affected, as that's within the visible spectrum.

I'm a little confused by this, I image the sun using a Baader solar continuum filter and an ASI120MM without an IR/UV cut filter just the Baader solar film.
I get plenty of granulation and detail, certainly a lot more than seen on that first link.
I'm not aware that my scope has any IR cut in it, wouldn't that likely effect Ha transmission?

Yes, is it normal to have IR cut built into an APO?

I have a TSED70Q.

I don't think the Schott glass of my Equinox is there to cut IR, it just happens to (as far as I know) naturally cut it. My Tele Vue 85 is a doublet so I would imagine has far more limited colour correction than a good quadruplet, but that's just my vague guess  :confused:  My Onyx is also a doublet, and suffers badly with IR. My Equinox is a doublet too, but has Schott glass. Hopefully someone who knows far more about refractor optics can chip in?

What is clear, is that some refractors work better without the UV/IR cut than others. I'd love to know why that is!

• 4 months later...

I wouldn't be without the Baader UV/IR Block in the mix alongside the Continuum for close-ups with the Mono SPC900NC , the Continuum bleeds IR and the difference is marked between with and without.

For my DSLR shots I use an OIII with the Baader ND3.8 with no extra IR block as the built-in filter on the 1000D does the job and experimenting with an extra UV/IR Block made no difference.

Archived