Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Myriad MWA V's William Optics XWA: Spot the difference

John

First Light Optics have sent me an example of the new Skywatcher Myriad 9mm 100 degree eyepiece to compare with the William Optics XWA 101 degree 9mm that they sent me a few weeks earlier.

Apart from the engraved branding and the QC sticker on the William Optics, I can't see any differences in the appearance of these eyepieces - can you ?. The Skywatcher Myriad did come with a 1.25" dust cap as well as the 2" one, which William Optics ommitted to provide. 

And the additional 1 degree that the William Optics claims to offer ?. Well they both look the same to me there as well. I guess I'd have to either dismantle the eyepieces and put a caliper on the field stop to check it's diameter or do some pretty accurate drift timing when the skies are clear. When I see "101" engraved on the barrel of the William Optics I see Nigel Tufnel of the band "Spinal Tap" in my minds eye: "..... well it's 1 wider isn't it ?. When you are as wide as you can go but you want to go further, where do you go ? - you go to 101 ........" :grin:

Joking apart, I've only had a few brief peeks through these but they seem to be very decent performers. You do need to push your eye very close to the rather unyielding and hard eye cup to get the full field in view but, so far, I've not seen any optical oddities in the way they deliver that immersive view. It's flat too, that 100 / 101 degree field. No re-focusing as an object drifts across it. The sharpness stays all the way across, planets and craters retain their proportions and their details even in my F/5.3 dobsonian. Thats quite impressive :smiley:

They weigh in at 620 grams apiece and that svelte (?) body houses 9 lens elements in 6 groups. Skywatcher are apparently planning additional focal lengths for this range of 15mm and 20mm with 100 degree apparent fields of view and 5mm and 3mm at a whopping 110 degrees. William Optics have not been drawn as yet on whether or not there will be any more XWA's. 

I'll do some more testing and report back in due course but for now here are a few photos of this pair of clones, some with their 2" skirts removed ( :wink:) and some fully clothed. Take it away Nigel:

post-118-0-62559400-1402091737_thumb.jpg

post-118-0-01353000-1402091750_thumb.jpg

post-118-0-35073200-1402091760_thumb.jpg

post-118-0-48009600-1402091768_thumb.jpg

post-118-0-85214000-1402091779_thumb.jpg

post-118-0-38327400-1402091794_thumb.jpg

post-118-0-23598100-1402091805.jpg

• Like 4

This has been seen before: the SW Nirvanas were clones of WO UWAs. Initial report sounds very promising

Yes, these have very much the look and finish of UWAN's / Nirvana's Michael. Quite possibly made by the same manufacturer I reckon.

• 5 months later...

I was wondering how these EP's worked out in the end? Will they work well in my F4.5 Skyliner 400P?

I still have the Myriad 9mm on loan and I'm hoping to have some of the other that have now come out in the range to compare it with.

This short report has recently been posted on the "Cloudynights" forum on the William Optics XWA 9mm:

http://www.cloudynights.com/page/articles/cat/user-reviews/wo-xwa-9mm-eyepiece-review-r2939

My fastest scope is my 12" F/5.3 dobsonian and the Myriad / WO XWA 9mm's work very well in that. At F/4.5 you will see some coma I would think, unless you are using a coma corrector, but that would be the same with the Ethos and other 100 degree eyepieces or 82 degree ones for that matter.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
36 minutes ago, bingevader said:

Sir John has a nice ring to it. ;)

I missed out in the honors list again this year - I can only conclude that her majesty no longer reads my reviews ....... :tongue:

• Haha 3