Narrowband

ZWO ASI 120 MC - Laptop requirements

ronin

What is the minimum with regards to a laptop, actually preferably notebook, that is need for one of these?

Small shop close  to me has used notebooks in, generally around the 1.2GHz to 1.6GHz and IGb or 2Gb memory with a harddrive - cannot recall the HD size offhand.

I know that the bigger the better but the 1.6GHz processor may not be the 2Gb memory one.

Also by the time you get the biggest they have it is a fair arguement that I may as well buy a new one, and trying to keep the cost down. So links to a Super ASUS at £1800 are pointless, I ain't going to consider it.

Most seem to have Win7 on them.

It really is a case of what could I get by with at minimum cost to do the capturing with without driving myself to dispair.

i run my asi 120mm very happily on my windows xp dell d610, super fast frame rates, you need usb 2 ports of course,

my obs desktop which is a hp microtower which is supposed to have usb 2 ports doesn`t like it at all, only happy at 1 fps in full frame mode, why i have no idea although i have tried to sort it out, could just be the need for a new usb 2 pci card.

Hi,

Mine runs perfectly well on my single core 1.6 ghz Atom netbook with 2 gig of ram, so you should be fine with anything more than that.

MM

Hi Ronin. Im afraid im not sure what the min requirements are to run the camera without issue. Like Red dwalf above im having issues.

Last night i was looking at the moon. Was working fine then suddenly Firecapture starts acting up. Then i couldnt get more than 1 fps lol!! Tried restarting etc but nothing seemed to work. No idea why.

My PC is a windows 8.1, intel i3, 3.2ghz and 16gb ram... Not amazing spec but should be able to deal with anything thrown at it... Perfomance was less than 40% cpu usage so no idea what the issue was.

I was doing a live broadcast at the time on NSN. So i was running quite a few programs (miloslick, firecapture, manycam, and IE browser with NSN) However this has never been a problem. Any ideas?

I have also noticed that if i try to use more the 80% USB traffic the picture breaks up.... I have read about USB traffic issues when using an AMD chip in your PC. But im using intel...which is advertised as the prefered chip to use with this camera. I dont have a clue where to start with the issue lol! I have both USB 2.0 and 3.0 on my PC tried both...no difference....

Cheers

Chris

according to the ZWO website the cameras don`t like usb3, don`t like usb hubs and i don`t think there very fond of usb active cables either which is a bit of a pain, also my usb traffic starts to freeze up the frame if i go above about 80% so i keep it at about 70% which works fine on the dell d610 laptop, i get round it by starting the tracking as usual with the obsy computer and the plug the asi camera into the laptop with the fairly long cable that they supply, only problem is that i now have to sit in the scope room imaging planets and get cold while there`s a lovely warm room right next to me L.O.L.

I use my ASI 120mm on a 2012 MacBook Pro, the limiting factor seems to be the USB transfer speed. If you drop the image size down though you can get hundreds of fps and exposure becomes the limiting factor, very nice :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived