Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Coming to dominate the summer sky, can't believe that I've not posted this treasure hunt .

Strung out along the Milky Way, gateway to Aquila, Delphinus and Vulpecula . A constellation buzzing with gems, Sissy Haas details 51 and I've added another 4 from Star Splitters. To me the nicest have been,

Delta Cygni a 2.5" seperation of yellow and green at x266

17 Cygni a fine wide pair in a lovely low power star field

Psi Cygni a 2.9" split at x133, lovely colour of yellow and blue, a nice bright view

STF 2624 at 1.9", x260 gave a clear split to near twins

SHJ 314 is a lovely low field triple, just groups of doubles here, another triple at

S 738 at x150 picked up the 1.8" BC

STF 2666 another blue yellow x150 showing this 2.8" split

STF 2671 at x160 shows lovely colour at 3.6"

STF 2668 x160 will pick the double out of a linear star group

52 Cygni in the foreground of NGC 6960 , quite hard due to magnitude contrast, x200 at 6.4"

STTF 414 another yellow and blue at x48 in a lovely star field

T Cygni very bright , then spot the +10 companion at x240

Another bright overpowering primary at

STF 2732 at x160 as was

STF 2741 at x160

The lovely triple 59 Cygni with a challenging +11.6 third to the C star, lovely to spot

H IV 113 another yellow and blue delicate at x48

My old favourite and introduction, Piazzi's flying double, just fun in the starfield at

61 Cygni, bins will show these flying stars.

Another double double, posted elsewhere is

S 786 and STF 2789, parallel pairs at x48

STTF 437 shows a 2.3" binary at x160

STTF 447 another double double in the field at x48

Mu Cygni at 1.9" gave a clean split yellow and blue at x200 and a showcase pair at

STF 2832 , just a pair of eyes at x48

79 Cygni is a quadruple group dropping down to a 1.5" seperation at x200

Some challenges,

Lambda at .9", eluded me last time out.

This is a fabulous constellation with so many clusters to enjoy and ideal for showing newbies 61 Cygni and some of the other gems here, under

Clear skies, Nick.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Calling a no joy on STF2496 Cyg

AB: 6.27+10.03 mag, STF2496, ADS 12240, B=HIP 94623
PA 79° Sep 2.10" (1991)

STF2328 Lyra . Absolutely worth a look . Beautiful star field

AB: 8.97+9.5 mag, STF2328, ADS 11397, B=STF2328B
PA 72° Sep 3.70" (1997)

mike h

• 3 weeks later...

From Nick's list:

"....52 Cygni in the foreground of NGC 6960 , quite hard due to magnitude contrast, x200 at 6.4..."

All the years I've been using this star as a locator for the Veil Nebula and I've never noticed it was a very nice binary :smiley:

It's little companion stood out really well tonight at 88x and 122x but that was with my 12" dob. Very nice pairing though.

I noted this down as " hard "! That's next up in my classification from "n/a".

It never ceases to amaze me , the number of famous named stars which pop out as doubles and the amount of doubles in big open clusters.

I also use the illuminating 52 Cygni in the Dob.

Nick.

post-6974-0-74580200-1409552845_thumb.jp

Ta !

I try and go out with a list. Geekily enough on a clipboard with spare paper for notes and drawings.

These are then kept in a plastic A4 soft cover . Useful for the month and next year. I get loads of targets off the forum from other observers. These are realistic targets as folk have seen them !

Alternatively it's a lovely evening out just to observe, no chart, no list ( probably no clue !).

There is a danger of just ending up with the usual suspects. I've observed with folk and the session has been repeat views of the same Messiers. My favourite was a guy who spent ages setting up a GOTO. When I asked what he was after finding, he replied, "The Pleiades". I'm afraid I lifted one arm and pointed at it ,

Nick.

From Nick's list:

"....52 Cygni in the foreground of NGC 6960 , quite hard due to magnitude contrast, x200 at 6.4..."

All the years I've been using this star as a locator for the Veil Nebula and I've never noticed it was a very nice binary :smiley:

It's little companion stood out really well tonight at 88x and 122x but that was with my 12" dob. Very nice pairing though.

Not as easy as I expected, given the separation - I don't remember ever looking at it before either. It took my Mak about 1 hour of cooling before it popped clearly into view at x150, although it appeared and disappeared occasionally before that.

Chris

From Nick's list:

"....52 Cygni in the foreground of NGC 6960 , quite hard due to magnitude contrast, x200 at 6.4..."

It's little companion stood out really well tonight at 88x and 122x but that was with my 12" dob. Very nice pairing though.

Got this in the Vixen tonight. I found it extremely difficult to start with, something explained by the fact that I was looking at the wrong star!!

In the Vixen I must say it was lovely, and relatively easy. Got it first in a 7mm BGO at x192 then worked my way down and it was clearly visible in an 18mm at x75. I'm pretty sure I tried successfully with the 24mm Pan at x56 too but can't quite remember.

A very lovely looking double :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got this for the first time tonight. I think it's one of those that is worse with too much magnification. It reminded me of a more colourful Polaris. Very nice and I only realised it was a double tonight.

Agreed Shane, I think I posted elsewhere that it reminded me of Polaris too :-) Great minds and all that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived