Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I think your scope is capable of a decent image of Mars, could probably process it a bit better.

Have you got something to convert your images to JPEGs before posting, saves downloading and opening P'Shop.

Dave

you should try uploading your pics to flickr in future so people dont have to download unknown files to there pc's just to view an image, i personally do not, not saying that your file is corrupt, but its a tad much to ask people to download files just to view an image....

sorry dont mean to sound like an old fart :(

Mars is hard. Well i find it hard. The hardest part i find is focus; with saturn the Cassini division comes into focus, but with mars there is nothing concrete with my live view.

I think this is a good attempt, looks very dark on my iphone screen. Peachy says to have the histogram near 75% when capturing the data which often means plenty of gain too (50% and some).

But remember it is hellish low, the atmosphere is thick and full of crud, and the jet stream is never far away with it's turbulence. I'm always amazed that we manage to get such wonderful images of planets so far away!

Well done and good luck with it all.

Jd

Mars is hard. Well i find it hard. The hardest part i find is focus; with saturn the Cassini division comes into focus, but with mars there is nothing concrete with my live view.

I think this is a good attempt, looks very dark on my iphone screen. Peachy says to have the histogram near 75% when capturing the data which often means plenty of gain too (50% and some).

But remember it is hellish low, the atmosphere is thick and full of crud, and the jet stream is never far away with it's turbulence. I'm always amazed that we manage to get such wonderful images of planets so far away!

Well done and good luck with it all.

Jd

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

I find Jupiter easy compared to Mars, as it is more tolerant to bad seeing. 

Yes. And bigger and brighter and easy to focus on; plus it has been much higher in the sky. I certainly wouldn't kick yourself over your mars image, it's a lovely image and shows some of the detail, but it is hellish hard to capture, even for those guys with 14" scopes.

Keep trying, you may get a clear spell with perfect seeing and just capture a glorious 120 seconds of perfectly focussed footage and end up with a cracker of an image.

Is there much underneath mars when you are imaging it, like houses or other structures which may be radiating heat and further atmospheric disturbances upwards?

Jd

Yes, this was done over the neighbours roof as it is really low in the sky.

Never thought of heat affects. I need to go out to a dark sky site in the south downs somewhere with clear skies to the sea.

Thanks for the ideas, guess if this game was easy it would not be as rewarding.

Archived