Narrowband

Let me get this right...Steppenwolf + Dobsonian ???

steppenwolf

I *always* observe and image.  I get the imaging rig up and off then use my 12" Dob.  Fabulous!  What are you meant to do when imaging, stare at the screen for four hours?  Go inside?

Good mount Steve btw.  I rebuilt my SK 300 mount completely.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent image Earl, I can only agree that it does look rather like a cannon - but will it blast holes in the cloud?

OK, so your azimuth bolt isn't self supporting on the baseboard as there is only one threaded fixing (the T nut on the base of the baseboard)? I like the idea of drilling out a second T nut to use as a plain bearing - cool idea.

that's right Steve, there's no weight bearing on the threaded T nut as that's taken by the pads. it's just rotational control you need from the central bolt. I used an M8 on my 12" scope which is plenty. 

I *always* observe and image.  I get the imaging rig up and off then use my 12" Dob.  Fabulous!  What are you meant to do when imaging, stare at the screen for four hours?  Go inside?

Good mount Steve btw.  I rebuilt my SK 300 mount completely.

I'm thinking I might go back to doing some observing in addition to imaging.  This hasn't been an option for me in the last few years.  Unfortunately my observatory isn't big enough to get both in :(

I *always* observe and image.  I get the imaging rig up and off then use my 12" Dob.  Fabulous!

In the winter, I tend to come inside the house and control my imaging operations remotely from the warm comfort of my 'astronomy room' (and yes there really is an astronomy wardrobe in there!! :grin: ), only venturing outside to rotate the dome every 15 minutes or so. However, in the Summer I usually sit or lie out on a sunbed with a pair of 10 x 50 Carl Zeiss binoculars to get buried in the Milky Way. I am hoping that the Dob will keep me out there in the winter too.

it's just rotational control you need from the central bolt. I used an M8 on my 12" scope which is plenty.

Great, I am probably over-designing (I do that!). I have gone half way on the bolt and ordered a stainless steel M10 bolt, nyloc nut and form C washers as well as a packet of T nuts. Tonight after my music practice - boy am I struggling at the moment - I shall mainly be drilling the holes that will mount the altitude bearings to the tube rings.

Is this gonna be called the 'SteppenDob' ??

That's not what Janie calls it!! You would never believe how much wood dust a router generates .............. :eek:

The rest of the hardware components for my build arrived at the tail end of last week so I made some further progress with the mount project by completing the assembly of the rocker box. The stumbling block was the arrival of the T nut(s) - the metal object in the centre of the rocker box base in the photograph below. I also decided to cut large holes in the side of the rocker box (to 'add lightness' as Colin Chapman of Lotus fame would have said!) which will give me two grab handles and break up the slab sides for purely aesthetic purposes.

post-1029-0-80067400-1401654655_thumb.pn

are you using glue and dowel to fix the panels together?

Hi Chris, I've gone for 'glue and screw'. I suspect that this will sound a little weird but I have in mind a 'constructed' theme so rather than countersink the screws (although those underneath connecting the front and sides to the rocker box base are countersunk) I am using stainless steel screw cups so that the screws are deliberately obvious and will contrast silver against the satin black finish that I am painting the wood in! For the same reason, I am using stainless steel socket head bolts to attach the altitude bearing wheels to the tube rings.

It remains to be seen (or laughed at!) if my theme works or not but I like to put my own stamp on things I build ....... :eek:

I'm sure you are thoroughly enjoying this new departure Steve. Working with wood does have a theraputic aspect.

I'm no carpenter myself, but I have built many Dobs. of varying sizes. The style wouldn't have won any awards,

but  I sure did enjoy the work.

What you've done so far looks splendid, and I hope to see the finished job at SGL9.

I'm always aware of the pleasure these Dobsonians have given to the Astronpmy  Community Worldwide.

In their simplicity, capabilty, and ease of use.  Some creations are nothing short of works of Art too.

Don't leave Mrs R. to clean all the dust up now  :grin:.

Ron.

Hi Ron,

I doubt mine will be considered a work of art but I have loved building it so far as I am outside my comfort zone (electronics and mechanicals are where I'm at my happiest) and learning new skills is something I really enjoy. The best bit is that the router (all the accessories missing!) was left to me by my late father-in-law in a box of old tools and I was able to use it for this task - if he was 'watching' he'd have been laughing his socks off I suspect.

Don't leave Mrs R. to clean all the dust up now  :grin:.

You know what, she did vacuum up the mess while I was out helping my son lay some vinyl in his new kitchen AND she has offered to paint the darn thing for me. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm a lucky guy! :grin:

How are you finishing the end grain on the ply?

I'm hoping that 'sand/fill/sand/undercoat/sand/undercoat/sand/topcoat/sand/topcoat will do it !!

Am I deluding myself?

To better explain my design theme, here's an updated mock-up:-

post-1029-0-58227100-1401717229_thumb.pn

Hi Chris, I've gone for 'glue and screw'. I suspect that this will sound a little weird but I have in mind a 'constructed' theme so rather than countersink the screws (although those underneath connecting the front and sides to the rocker box base are countersunk) I am using stainless steel screw cups so that the screws are deliberately obvious and will contrast silver against the satin black finish that I am painting the wood in! For the same reason, I am using stainless steel socket head bolts to attach the altitude bearing wheels to the tube rings.

It remains to be seen (or laughed at!) if my theme works or not but I like to put my own stamp on things I build ....... :eek:

Actually that sounds quite interesting, I think black with silver doo-dahs might look quite good :) 

Hi Ron,

I doubt mine will be considered a work of art but I have loved building it so far as I am outside my comfort zone (electronics and mechanicals are where I'm at my happiest) and learning new skills is something I really enjoy. The best bit is that the router (all the accessories missing!) was left to me by my late father-in-law in a box of old tools and I was able to use it for this task - if he was 'watching' he'd have been laughing his socks off I suspect.

You know what, she did vacuum up the mess while I was out helping my son lay some vinyl in his new kitchen AND she has offered to paint the darn thing for me. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm a lucky guy! :grin:

That's Love for you .  The worlds best fuel.

Ron.

Excitement is growing at the Chanctonbury Observatory - two coats of undercoat on, just two coats of satin black to finish and then it's final assembly! Trial fit prior to painting went perfectly so it might even work when completed .....

post-1029-0-59478200-1402056151_thumb.pn

Looking like a neat job there Steve :) I take it the bottom of your OTA clears the added cross brace, thought I'd check as its the kind of thing I would add without thinking it through :D

Chris

Thanks for the warning, Chris and Ron but the cross bar was fitted after the trial fit of the whole kit for just that reason - it is as high as I can go for bracing purposes whilst still allowing full movement of the 'scope with the heaviest eyepiece I have.

Ah!, perhaps we ought to have known Steve, that your experience would not lead you to make such an error.

I'm sure you'll forgive Chris. and I  our temerity, in even  thinking otherwise :grin:.

Looking good, and we await the appearance of the finished masterpiece on a suitable podium :smiley:.

Ron.

Ah!, perhaps we ought to have known Steve, that your experience would not lead you to make such an error.

I'm sure you'll forgive Chris. and I  our temerity, in even  thinking otherwise :grin:.

Watch this space - knowing my luck I will have forgotten something and end up with egg on my face! I promise I'll confess if anything happens :grin: :grin:

Thanks for the warning, Chris and Ron but the cross bar was fitted after the trial fit of the whole kit for just that reason - it is as high as I can go for bracing purposes whilst still allowing full movement of the 'scope with the heaviest eyepiece I have.

Sorry Steve, good to hear your not as daft as me :icon_rabbit::icon_bounce::icon_compress:

Looking good, and we await the appearance of the finished masterpiece on a suitable podium :smiley:.

Ron.

I agree, I think Its going to be a gooden, no pressure though Steve ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Just before I went away for a week's holiday, the final coat of paint was applied (thanks Janie!) - the week away allowed it all to dry nicely so I am ready for final assembly if I get time this week. I have also come up with a simple design for incorporating an azimuth scale but more on that when I have finalised the attachment and calibration method. For now, here are the finished assemblies prior to replacing the screws in the rocker box with the 'cupped' versions that I mentioned in an earlier post - the two thick, bright silver discs are the altitude bearing retainers.

post-1029-0-71811200-1403127406_thumb.pn

Archived