Narrowband

Big asteroid incoming!

A big newly-discovered Near Earth Asteroid 2014 HQ124 will be passing by only 3 times the moon's distance on June 8th. Only discovered on April 24th, it's a big one at around 800 metres across. Should get up to around 13th mag, but currently in the southern sky.

A close shave. A big one like that could do a fair bit of damage to life on earth.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think a safety helmet and hi-viz vest would help you if that landed on /near you. ;)

Out of curiosity, if it (or one similar) were found to be on course for us, what steps would be taken to eliminate the threat. (And for the sake of arguement, lets pretend Bruce Willis is on holidays :) ).

I don't think a safety helmet and hi-viz vest would help you if that landed on /near you. ;)

Out of curiosity, if it (or one similar) were found to be on course for us, what steps would be taken to eliminate the threat. (And for the sake of arguement, lets pretend Bruce Willis is on holidays :) ).

At the moment i dont know if we really have the technology to deal with a large earth impactor, but world governments are working to be ready in the future, at present if a very large one was heading our way i think it would be a case of "hasta la vista"

At the moment i dont know if we really have the technology to deal with a large earth impactor, but world governments are working to be ready in the future, at present if a very large one was heading our way i think it would be a case of "hasta la vista"

ahh, cheers Jules. thats brightened my day no end ;).

But as we would all be going together it would be irrelevant anyway.

There is the old quote that, "When the end of the World comes, make your way to Holland. There, everything happens fifty years later" (Heine).

In todays world, maybe the Isle of Wight would be a better choice...

Chris

We do love to delude ourselves into believing that our presence here will be eternal...

Olly

I do get your point Olly and don't really live under any such delusions (just thought we'd wipe ourselves out first :D). It just seems amazing to me that we (collectively) can pack a shed load of stuff on top of another shed load of explosives, send it off to Mars and it all works, or print a 3d scull out of plastic to repair a broken one, yet we still haven't been bothered to work out how to destroy/deflect a rock big enough to cause pandamonium here on our home planet all-be-it hopefully precausionary.

I think brown paper bags over the head is the recommended form of protection.

Well, one option is to call Chuck Norris. Hmmm sorry, couldn't resist... B-)

Archived