SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Splitting Izar

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It should be relatively straight forward in your scope assuming the seeing is reasonable.

It is quite easy in my 76mm and beautiful in the 150 so the 120 should do it with no problem.

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avtaram,

Thanks for the great drawing. :smiley:

In your sketch, which of the five stars you have drawn is Izar? (I'm going to use your sketch to check what is in the fov when I use Stellarium or Sky Safari.)

Good likeness there Shane. The secondary can sometimes get buried in the first diffraction ring from the primary, particularly on the smaller scopes. Nice colour contrast.

Stu

if the spec of the field of view is correct in that sketch I am sorry to say I don't think you managed a split of Izar. if the 0.6 degrees tfov and magnification is accurate then this equates to 36 arc minutes across the field. Izar's companion is only about three arc seconds from the primary and the one in your sketch is much further away than this (more like several arc minutes - maybe 8 arc minutes). I don't know if there is a coincidental blue star at this distance from Izar but could you have seen this?

Jim, Izar is the yellow/orange star and its companion is the pale blue star just above and to the right.

This was in my 120 ed with a Baader Zoom set at 8mm.

Avtar

Hi Avtar,

Maybe I'm mis interpreting the sketch or the secondary doesn't show up on your image? The separation to the blue star above right looks very big sketch though vs what I see??

Stu

Shane, Stu, looks like I may have to revisit this.

I can't remember all the details since the sketch was done a year ago but I think the placing of the stars in the field of view should be about right.

Avtar

Give Albireo a go, nice and easy and a lovely colour contrast.

Almach is another lovely one though not conveniently positioned at the moment.

If you fancy a challenge, try the Double Double in Lyra. It's an easy double, but each component is a tight double in itself. Needs good seeing and collimation.

Cheers,

Stu

Izar is one of the doubles that seems to give me a lot of trouble. Most nights I am out and it is available I give it a go and sometimes see nothing, sometimes slightly elongated and occasionally a good split. When it pops out it's worth all the hassle to see this beauty.

Last night was clear and the seeing was good. I tried Izar again and this time I saw the secondary just very slightly above the primary (180x).  It seemed to be lurking in the first diffraction ring just like Stu said.  I checked in Sky Safari and it confirmed the relative positions on the component stars.

I also split the "double double" in Lyra as suggested.  That was somewhat easier to do than Izar even though the separation is less.  I suppose the similar magnitudes helps.

Archived