SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Huddersfield astronomers

Sam Baker

Hi all, i'm looking for local amateurs to go out stargazing with. I'm in the huddersfield area and have a SW200P on eq5 mount. Anyone interested please leave a message!

Thanks

Sam

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Is the asrronomy centre open on tuesdays and or sundays?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hi

Sorry we are open to the public on Saturday evenings (plus afternoons at the moment for sun observing). But send an e-mail to Peter and ask as some of us are there most days.

• 3 months later...

How are you getting on with imaging Sam? Just got a goto mount so when I get a camera I will be going up to winscar again to get some tips.

Hi Amy, great set of lads that meet up at winscar reservoir which probably isn't far from you.

Evening all

Completely new to this, I have borrowed a tasco telescope from a colleague who doesn't use it until I can collect my new purchase in September, would love to find out more about how to use this.

Looking to get into astro photography, any advice/support is appreciated, very interested in meeting others as I've found it a good way to develop my photography over the years.

John

Evening all

Completely new to this, I have borrowed a tasco telescope from a colleague who doesn't use it until I can collect my new purchase in September, would love to find out more about how to use this.

Looking to get into astro photography, any advice/support is appreciated, very interested in meeting others as I've found it a good way to develop my photography over the years.

John

Welcome to SGL, John! :)

RE: the scope, you might get a wider response from posting your questions and any images of your scope in the Beginners / Welcome forum. Astrophotography is very very different from observing and arguably more complex / difficult / definitely much more expensive, you'll find an array of discussions in the Astro Imaging section too. I'm only a beginner observer myself with ambitions for astrophotography in the future, so I can't really say what's here nor there, but I would like to definitely impress that it'll do you the world of good to hit observation on the head before you move on to imaging things if you have little to no experience in astronomy. This way you'll know exactly what you want to focus on (it's surprising how your favourites change when you see and hear about other things) and therefore you'll get a better idea on the kind of telescope you'd need to a) get the best viewing image of those things and B) get the best photo / video images of those things.

(Basically what's best for observing isn't necessarily best for imaging, and what's best for viewing one thing might not be best for viewing another thing. Plus it could save you money if you just want to focus on solar objects, for example.)

Astrophotography and Observing is like trying to obtain a degree without having finished high school first. You might do it but it'll take a lot longer, be lots more confusing / frustrating, probably cost much more money, and because of this it'll probably be a lot less fun.

Figure out how to find stuff and how to choose the right kit for what you want to find, then move on to photographing it with the big stuff. That's my advice.

Unless of course you're a seasoned observer already, in which case I'll be quiet, lol. ;)

Evening all

John

John,

I'm only up the hill from you at Hartshead Moor Top. You would be more than welcome to join me for an imaging session.

Matt.

Check out the WADAS group page - there's a great set of people there with a wide range of knowledge from seasoned astrophotographers to visual observers and widefield photographers. They regularly meet up at Winscarr reservoir and can give you all the practical advice you need as well tips and hints on making the most of your scope!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived