Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Polar Alignment (again, really sorry)

Hello, I've read everything I can including AstroBaby's guide to this and I have a couple of fundamental questions I'd love someone to answer!

1. Calibrating the circles, i.e setting the known polar transit ...I see in the example a nice easy date/time is used, I don't know if it is a real one or not, but given certain dates/times look easier to set than others, is there any way to find a nice easy one eg a date where transit was at an exact o-clock eg midnight etc?  I've downloaded all the Polarfinder type apps but they just seem to give me the last and next times for today.  Or is this something I have to live with?  

2. Leading on from 1, I am I right  the time/day/date/month for a transit is only valid for that year, so any tutorials made last year or older won't work?

3. Am I right that the view through my HEQ5 Polarscope is equivalent to an "inverted" setting on these apps?

4. After having done all this and aligned/centred it using the current HA, do we then need to set our "home" or park position levels?  I guess I am still not sure about why we use this position, if it is important or not.

For any help on this I will be extremely grateful!

Sorry, but I can't read the circles or understand them. I level the mount, find Polaris and note the angle to Kochab. Then I put Polaris to hide it under the alignment clock.

If Kochab isn't available, I use the free app Polar Align. Home is zero RA and dec. I made a mark on each axis on the mount to return it after finding Polaris and levelling,

Nick.

Does your handset not have the Polar Align Option, you need to do a 2 star align to get it to show in the alignment options.......you can test this in day light just do a 2 star align and see if the option comes up.....

Archived