Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Binoculars

As a respite from the struggle with the Sky Watcher 200mm q.v.  I have ordered a pair of Celestron 20X80mm binoculars ex Amazon @ £103. Can anybody indicate anything better value for money/generally. Also can anybody recommend a good tripod mount for these (already have tripod)?

I have the Celestron 15x70 which I bought for around £60 late last year and they were great for purpose although heavy to hold for long periods and lots of neck ache when looking at object high in the sky so i guess the 20x80 will be quite hefty.

I bought a manfrotto monopod to mount mine - makes using them much more comfortable and it's easy to move around quickly with a monopod rather than a tripod.

As a respite from the struggle with the Sky Watcher 200mm q.v.  I have ordered a pair of Celestron 20X80mm binoculars ex Amazon @ £103. Can anybody indicate anything better value for money/generally. Also can anybody recommend a good tripod mount for these (already have tripod)?

Hi Brian,

Sorry I can not help with your question directly,  but I am very interested why are you asking for further recommendations on binoculars having just placed an order for a pair of Celestron 20X80s?

Ian

Not much point recommending better etc, as you have already ordered a very good pair. :)

You already have a tripod?

Then a alt/az tilt and point photo sadle would be good providing that the bins have a central slide bar type attachment point.

The tripod supplied with my 20x80s could be classed as flimsy at best, however; it works.

When I'm feeling particularly off the wall, I mount the 20x80s piggback at the back of the EQ5 mounted 150/750 OTA and unlock the clutches. yee ha.... 

The bins are brilliant for general star gazing, doing a Messier marthon etc.

You should be well pleased.

Plus during the day I use them for Sail ship watching.

I know of a guy in Vegas who uses a yard brush for his big bins, and a guy in Germany who puts everyone to shame with his use of binoculars in astronomy.

Congratulations on the purchase, I doubt that you will regret it.

Cheers,

Rich

Hi Brian,

Sorry I can not help with your question directly,  but I am very interested why are you asking for further recommendations on binoculars having just placed an order for a pair of Celestron 20X80s?

Ian

Researched this carefully before ordering but thought that if enough people thought I had made a mistake I could return them for credit. In fact all comments so far very favourable. Thanks for replying.

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks to all who replied. As far as Astronomy goes, viewing here has been none too good of late but tried out on a ~3 day old Moon a couple of nights ago and was well pleased. Today in daylight did a field test on the landscape and these binoculars seem well able to render visible detail that is completely unavailable to the naked eye, even in haze. So I am well pleased with my purchase, the build is strong and well finished and the controls refined.

You do need a tripod with these so I have bought a Celestron  AstroMaster tripod with (uncalibrated) Altazimuth mount. Again, good, strong well finished product that can also double as a 35mm DSLR mount.

I would recommend both of these products to anyone wanting good, high powered binoculars.

No association with Celestron or any other dealer.

Archived