Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

RC Scopes vs SCT

Hi

I have had my Lx200 !0" for a while and I`m thinking of replacing it with a RC Scope. 

Is there any major differences in limiting magnitudes between an sct and a rc scope of

the same size, taking into account the larger size of secondary in the RC scope.

I`m aware of better flatter field etc in a RC scope.

hypnotoad

If it's for visual and/or planetary imaging primarily.

Then I would keep the SCT.

If you want to get into long focal length DSO imaging, then the RC is the better scope, due to it's faster native F/8 focal ratio, larger flatter field and fixed primary mirror.

It doesn't mean you can't use the SCT for DSO imaging or the RC for visual and planetary.

Just that each has it's strengths in specific areas.

In general the RC is more a dedicated imaging scope due to it's larger central obstruction, reducing contrast in visual observation.

I tend to be dedicated to photometry, and the sct is a bit of an all rounder, but what with the odd mirror flop on occasion

and a poor flat field, I am thinking seriously of switching. The fork mount is fustrating, and have considered removing the

sct from its forks to a better mount. I`m going to get a new mount either way. Not so long ago, while imaging the supernova

sn2014J in M82, I nearly destroyed a ccd camera when the sope was almost vertical.

Archived