Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi Guys,

Not put off by the long tube 150PL im now considering a VX10L ( with the 1/10 PV primary of course :) ). Question is, how would an neq6 handle it for imaging? 

Weight wise at 12kg its comfortably under the imaging weight of the neq6. However from experience with the PL on an eq3-2, i know it isnt always just about weight and im worried about having 1.6m of tube. I hear that a 250pds is fine but the 300pds is too much for the mount. Looks like the VX10L and the 300pds are around the same length but the vx should be a little lighter.

Is anybody imaging with this setup?  How stable is it?

I was planning to buy the mount in the next couple of months and will use that with the PL for a while so really just considering what else i could stick on it... but i really like the sound of a long tube 10" :)

Cheers

Mark

Hi Scarp,Laurie

Sorry i should have stated what i was actually going to use it for... schoolboy error :(

Pretty much planetary / lunar imaging. I know i will try some dso imaging with it too ( just like i do with the PL)  but not going to be annoyed if i cant get long subs with it. ( Tempted to get a 130pds for that )

TBH i was originally thinking of a C9.25 or C11 or a mak, but ive a feeling that the newt will perform better, and its what im used to as well. Possibly better value for money too meaning more left over for extra kit :)

As far as focal ratio is concerned... i'll be slowing it down to F20 for planetary imaging, dso will be f6.3 which isnt so different from an ED 80. But anyway dso is very much secondary consideration for me. An of course im sure it will be fun visual too.

Just i know that with the PL on the eq3, a light breeze or walking near the mount results in wobbles and adjusting focus can send the image right off the cropped sensor... Id expect the NEQ6 to be more stable ( and i'll use the losmandy dovetail if orion can supply it with one).

But as always, best to check incase there is something i havnt considered...

Cheers

Mark 

Archived