Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mars 23.04.14

theo

Varying conditions somewhat tonight switching between pretty wobbly to pretty steady!!

This I think will be one of the better captures of the night though.

It's nice to have Syrtis Major well positioned and some cloud features!!

Regards,

Pete.

post-22012-0-72324300-1398311733_thumb.j

Varying conditions somewhat tonight switching between pretty wobbly to pretty steady!!

This I think will be one of the better captures of the night though.

It's nice to have Syrtis Major well positioned and some cloud features!!

Regards,

Pete.

post-22012-0-37931600-1398312183_thumb.j

Seems I have this post listed twice now...I thought that may happen. I accidentally posted this image to the deep sky section so the moderators have now moved this post over.

Sorry for the siily error on my part though it was stupid o clock: :-)

truely stunning, i have the asi120mm camera also, any tips on using it, i.e. focusing, capture rates and so on ?

I would suggest for focusing you stay away from focus masks and use your best judgement on the planet itself. This is especially relevant if you are using an SCT as the mirror can move a bit as you slew from a star that you might have used to focus with a mask.

Capture rates are dependant of ROI size, laptop spec and of course exposure settings but if you aim for a decent histogram on Mars & Jupiter of around 60 to 70% and Saturn  30 - 40% without pushing gain up too far to introduce lots of noise you won't go far wrong. 

Pete

I am with Simon on these images Pete - I missed this post as well! Glad I rectified though what a couple of cracking images. Superb detail - wonderful renditions of Mars!

best regards,

Ralph

Archived